foot.note

25 January 2007


Just heard from my mum last night that we managed to sell off our aging 14-year Honda Accord for RM 15 000. And they went to buy a Perodua MyVi - apparently it's like a very popular model back in Malaysia. Anyway, they said that it'd probably arrive next week or something - waiting time is much less than the 10 months when the MyVi was first launched in May 2005. We retained the old Honda Accord's number plate, so this car will have a rego of JAN 200 - we have been keeping that number for 25 years already - so this is the 4th car that would have this rego number - the first was a 1981 Honda Civic (dad's first car), then it went to a Proton Saga, and then it went to a 1992 Honda Accord, and now into a 2007 Perodua MyVi.

The colour is correct I think as the one you see in this picture - olive green, my mum said. Hmm I don't really like this colour... prefer black or silver, but hmm anyway... not like I'll ever get much of a chance to drive it around heehe.

Photo from: http://paultan.org/archives/2005/05/19/perodua-myvi-colours-the-myvi-rainbow-p/

My supervisor said I'm making good progress - but from the looks of it, I don't think I'll be able to finish writing by today, so most probably I'll hole myself up in the office across Australia Day, so I can give a complete draft to Ed by Monday. I also attended my first (and what will be my only) Indonesian Study Group seminar yesterday! http://rspas.anu.edu.au/economics/ip/seminars.php.

Yesterday's seminar was pretty interesting. Was about the Chinese in East Java, especially Surabaya. You know how we often think of Chinese Indonesians as one monolithic bloc? I didn't know there were so many different groups of Chinese Indo - especially the division between peranakan and totok. I knew peranakan is mixed Chinese and Malay marriages, but I never knew there was another group called totok - those who migrated from China with their families and still maintained much of their Chinese values and traditions. Yeah, and also the role of education (schooling systems) and languages spoken - and how that served to widen the divide between peranakan and totok Chinese during the Soeharto years. But the presenter, who was a PhD candidate in Linguistics I think, was saying that now the younger generations do not really differentiate themselves as peranakan and totok anymore, and are perfectly ok with the idea of inter-marrying each other. Which was like a big contrast to their parents and grandparents' attitudes towards inter-group marriage. Interesting seminar that was, especially if you're interested in identity studies.