foot.note

07 December 2006

Richly blessed by Convention 2006 - especially my Bible Study Group, the speakers (Melvin Lo & Michael Raiter), the workshop speakers (thought the one on "Making the Best out of University" by Chris Ngo was not bad), and through God's word in Colossians and Jonah. Was a good time of reflecting on my priorities and really considering on what it means to depend on the gospel and the promise we have in Jesus.

I'm now in Canberra - the capital of Australia! Yes I know lots have happened since I last blogged - Kim Beazley is no longer Federal opposition leader. Kevin Rudd (the ALP foreign affairs spokesman) is now Opposition Leader, and Julia Gillard (Shadow Health Minister) is deputy leader, after a leadership challenge in Caucus last week. One day in politics is eternity, they say.

I nearly (nearly) missed my flight to Canberra today. Uncle Henry, Aunty Siew Kin and Leshan brought me to the city at 8am+ or so (cos that's the time when they start work), and dropped me off at the YHA where I met John. Had breakfast at Queen Victoria Market - the Club Sandwiches were not bad at all hey. Anyway, the flight was at 1115am, and I checked in at 1055am - so there!

Well my body made it on the flight, but apparently my check-in luggage didn't. Because I was standing at the baggage collection at Canberra Airport and my luggage never came out of that hole. Turns out that the luggage was still in Melbourne. Anyway, Virgin Blue sent it on the next Melbourne - Canberra flight and they said they'll deliver it to ANU, which I got just about 3hours ago. I think I'm more amused than irritated over the entire thing. Such stuff doesn't happen everyday! :)

Staying at Burgmann College... in the postgraduate extension block. REALLY NICE room! It's a studio apartment actually... with a living room, and two bedrooms. My other housemate is Hareesh, who's a Sri Lankan studying Computer Science. Studying at Adelaide University. Had quite a bit of a chat after dinner. I reckon the room's nicer than my Perth room! heehe.

Also really blessed to have Ed Aspinall and Greg Fealy as my supervisors. If you do Asian politics, you'll know that Ed specialises in Indonesian democratisation and the separatist conflict in Aceh - he's like an academic-activist, who was banned from visiting Indonesia because of his views. Ed tells me "the previous Indonesian ambassador to Australia doesn't like me" when he bought me coffee just now. He also introduced me to every person in the department.... yeah, really made to feel very welcome here in the Department of Political and Social Change, Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies. Greg mainly does local politics in Indonesia and Islam, but he's away at the moment - he'll be back in January though.

All right... I'm not boasting here. But I was really shocked big-time when the admin woman told me I'm the only summer scholar in the department. Hmm yeah... Really thank God for this amazing opportunity He has given me. Most of my workmates are not summer scholars really, but PhD candidates, lecturers and professors.

I have my own office too in the Department - with research assistants to help us out, my own computer with 24/7 access, my own phone line, photocopying etc etc. :) And also I can enter the office at 2am if i choose to haha. It's about 10-15minutes walk from where I stay.

Ok I'm really happy even though I haven't slept much. :) :)
I just pray that God will humble myself and be grateful for what I have because all we have comes from Him alone.

I'm typing this from the computer lab in Burgmann... but I'm feeling tired so I want to go sleep now.
Anyways, my contact numbers are:
+61 2 6125 7479 (room)
+61 2 6125 2124 (office)
Would be happy for anyone to say hi! hehe.