foot.note

28 November 2006

Writing this blog from Uncle Henry's place in Hawthron, Melbourne!

Left Perth at 1105pm WST yesterday. Arrived in Canberra at 5 minutes to 6am local time - the East is currently 3 hours faster than WA. Flight was good. Had lamb curry for "dinner" (read: really supper), cheese biscuits, lemonade, chocolate, and a bun. Well, the seat next to me (I was by the aisle) was empty, but there was a woman in the window seat... she's from Canberra who just went to Perth for her best friend's wedding. Had a bit of a small chat there. Watched My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Brainless but it still took away 1hr 35minutes of the flight boredom. Total flying time: 3hr 55minutes.

Upon reaching Canberra,

I took the Airport Bus from the Airport to the City Interchange, and then an ACTion public bus from the City Interchange to Burgmann College (that's where I'll be staying) in ANU. Met Samuel (my friend from OCF Perth) who's also doing a summer scholarship there - he arrived earlier than me - passed him my Canberra luggage, had a bit of a small chat too.

Took bus back to the City Interchange, and then Airport Bus to the Airport. Reached Canberra Airport at 8.35am - my flight to Melbourne was at 9.15am. Just in the nick of time! :)

I'm so happy for myself hey. It's like, here's a city I've never stepped foot on and I managed to orientate myself with public transport so quickly. I should also add that the whole journey as described above only cost me a grand total of $8! Still can't believe how cheap it was - compared to Melbourne or even Perth. Well, that's because I qualify for concession in ACT (Australian Capital Territory) too!

So, what's Canberra like from my 2.5hours there today?

The bus passed by the Australian War Memorial - it looked absolutely stunning! I must visit it again to learn more about Australia's war history.

I saw Parliament House from the distance when i was at ANU - very nice. More beautiful than the pictures.

The same can't be said though of Burgmann College. Website looks nicer than actual place. But but, I haven't got to explore ANU throughly yet - all the sprawling 145 hectares of it!

MELBOURNE:
Arrived 1010am in Tullamarine Airport. Skybus down to the City, and then took a tram to Uncle Henry's place. Met cousin Shahan... dropped on my bed and slept the whole afternoon.

When I woke up at 705pm, Uncle Henry, Aunty Siew Kin and Leshan were back already! Very happy to meet them all again. We're having lamb shanks for dinner tomorrow!

Called up Uncle John as well. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get to meet up when I'm here because we're all very tight on time... but I think he'll be going back to Malaysia, so my parents will be seeing him and Aunty Phyllis.

Okay... tomorrow I'm not quite sure what I want to do. The Convention BS meeting is from 10am to 5pm... will meet Esther Ho, Sam, and Debbie for supper or sth.

All right out from here. A bit tired. :)

CONVENTION 1-6 Dec 2006.
Flying back to Canberra 7 Dec 2006. DJ 717. 1115am - 1215pm.