foot.note

07 November 2006

(1) BANGSA MALAYSIA
There seems to be much talk in the Malaysian newspapers these days about the so-called "special" rights of bumiputeras and how non-Malays are trying to "subvert" it, or undermine the spirit of the Constitution. First, there was the resignation of a Dr Lim Teck Ghee (who I read was the director of Centre of Public Policy Studies) because UMNO politicians and the like disputed the findings of his study, which was apparently on the bumiputera share of corporate equity. And then today, I read about DPM Najib saying that Bangsa Malaysia (a Malaysian "race") is merely "a state of mind", and that it does not violate bumiputera "special" rights and position. This was apparently in response to the Johor Mentri Besar's (Chief Minister of Johor) questioning the concept of Bangsa Malaysia because "it caused different races in the country to be ethnically diluted or mixed up merely for a concept that is still 'hazy' in its meaning".

I used to accept the logic of the NEP (New Economic Policy) in the past, even though I've seen my dad being systematically discriminated as part of it. Why I use "systematically discriminated"? Cause I know it was through his own sweat and blood that he managed to weave his way around the bureaucracy to convert the agricultural land which he bought into a commercial land suited for building a petrol station (that's our line). And he was legally required to give up 30% of the share to a bumiputera (who well, literally did nothing) because it was part of the NEP. And I don't know whether you know, but I do know he's had Malays tell him point-blank in the face that "you can never get this or that" because "you're Chinese".

Not that I'm implying ALL Malays are myopic and overtly racist. I've got good Malay neighbours in Johor Bahru, and I know my dad has lots of good Malay customers. But, I feel sorry for Malaysia whenever such outbursts happen in the press. Because, ultimately, it's the country which loses out itself. Is there any wonder why, when you compare Malaysians and Singaporeans, it's always the Malaysians who are much more likely to stay / migrate overseas?

Or is there any wonder why, our politicians don't see the immense talent loss when bright Chinese students are denied their places in public universities, and end up getting some bizzare course like Woodmaking and the like? And they all eventually go on to Singapore, UK, Australia etc.

One thing I find pretty outrageous is when politicians deride overseas students who don't return back to Malaysia as "unpatriotic" and so on. But... what's the point of going back when you are not given the chance to make Malaysia a better place? I, for one, see NO reason why I'm going back to Malaysia. Even if I do go back one day, it'd be Singapore even though home for me is always Malaysia.

Hmm I realised I'm legally liable to be charged under the Sedition Act for making such statements questioning the historical position of ethncities in Malaysia. But ahhh whatever, freedom of expression shall never be stifled.

(2) CHURCH TOGETHER
I went for Church Together on Sunday! Church Together is when all the churches in Perth gather in an open area in the city for a combined church service, and it was definitely huge that day! Like about 15 000 I reckon. I liked the sermon by J John - "The human problem is the problem of the human heart" - and the closing concert by Hillsongs United. That was a blast, although I couldn't stay forever and had to leave with Katie, Jon, Keith and Dorcas... had exams and all to do. But I definitely didn't regret going for Church Together - I missed out last year - and a big thank you to John Ho for getting me to go this year! :)

(3) ESSAY RESULTS

Britain in the 20th Century: 84 for essay (30% of unit), and 78 for tutorial participation (20% of unit) (quite surprised at this because I know I never really talked a lot this semester).

I liked what Pep wrote in my essay: "Will, a very good essay, informative, accurately referenced and researched and pleasantly written. You are getting to be a good historian so leave out the political-science, please!"

Anyway, the topic I wrote on was Britain in World War Two, and specifically the question I formulated was: "To what extent was Britain's experience in the Second World War a "People's War""?

And I my first exam is tomorrow 9am - 11.10am (AUSTRALIAN DEMOCRACY) - feeling quite anxious over this. Really grateful to Katie who was handing out cookies in the library last night, esp. the piece of paper stuck on 'em: "
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7"

(4) UPDATE ON CHRISTMAS AND NYE SYDNEY TRIP

A very big thank you to Shimei and Jing who have agreed to let me stay in their apartment in Sydney during the Christmas break, as they'll be back in Singapore. Really appreciate it big-time! :) It's been a looooong time since I saw you both. And thanks to trish for scouting for the accommodation as well!


(5) FAREWELL TO DORCAS!

Will be pretty sad to see you leave Perth for Singapore tomorrow. Because you've been such a blessing to our cell group, not least your yummy dinners! But yeah, congrats on completing your MPsych and I hope it'd be of good use to Him when you're back in Singapore! :)

p/s: That was quite sweet what you write in your blog there, valerie. :) And it did bring back lots of fond memories.

p/ps: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIANWEI! Welcome to the 21st club. And just wanted to say a big thank you for your friendship over these... hmm let me count, 8 years! I'm sorry my card hasn't been sent out yet, but I promise I will as soon as my exams are done and over with.