Went to the zoo with valerie today. The last time I went to the zoo, it was in 2003 - and it was also with her then. I was a bit !!! at the fact that there is no more student rate for the zoo, and we had to pay $15 each for admission. Anyways, it was a nice day meeting the animals and pretending we're tourists in our own country.
She's leaving Singapore for a year. To San Francisco to be exact. That's one less reason to come back home during the summer (Dec 06 - Feb 07). And yeah it's quite amazing how we are still good friends after 6 years+? You have to take care when you're there yah? And I'm always contactable - though Aust isn't exactly very near USA heh. :)
You know, I liked it when you were asking me what it feels like to come back to Singapore / Malaysia after being away for an extended period. Well, when you're back... most things will be the same... Bugis will still be Bugis, the weather will always be like that. Just that:
1. You'll realise that things in the past you thought was acceptable seems quite unacceptable now. E.g. the glaring lack of courtesy and politeness we exhibit as a society. It's almost like, it's "uncool" to be courteous. People don't hold doors for others, and people look at you like a weirdo when you say "thank you".
2. You'll be really critical about the way politics is run in Malaysia and Singapore. In the past, I was a huge Dr Mahathir fan, now... the way I see him criticise an elected government (the current administration) about its so-called incompetent management, to the way the PAP uses the government machinery to consolidate its political monopoly, and to the way they keep on utilising the threat of libel suits to force political opponents out of the competition... Previously, to me it was like "oh that's the way it is here. It's because we're Confucian-style authoritarian, and we like being denied freedoms"... now, to me, those are just revolting. That includes special rights for bumiputeras here.
3. You value your family and friends much much more. You'll notice after being gone for 4 months, how much more white hair you see on mum and dad, and that makes you want to make them happy.
Yesterday, I met up with trish. Glad that we managed to meet over coffee just before you fly back to Sydney tomorrow! I'm not the only one who thinks I feel a bit out of place back in Singapore heh. And then there was dinner with xy... think we ate at Crystal Jade Macau Restaurant... the one at Bugis... ahh feeling so full these days. I'm so happy I managed to meet with 3 friends in 2 days... need a break for a few days now, and then I'm off to KL next week.