Was reading this article on SMH yesterday. It's entitled "The loonies at uni"... quite an interesting read, especially the way they generalise certain categories of students... over-generalising a bit, maybe?
http://radar.smh.com.au/archives/cover_story_comment/001769.html
LIBRARY FREAKS
Experts on bar codes and the Dewey decimal classification system, these bookworms spend all day ferreting in cubicles and peeping through gaps in shelves. Too nervous to hang out in the cafeteria, they stalk potential love-interests in stairwells or creep up from behind while they're sitting at computers. Watch out when essays are due - they'll hunt down all the relevant books and hide or camouflage the ones they can't borrow.
Hmm I'm not an expert in bar codes and the Dewey system, but I must admit I spend days snooping around library shelves just poring at the History books. I did joke before to Jeremy that I might meet my future wife at the History section at Kinokuniya, since I go there so often haha. And the bit about hogging books when essays are due, I gotta admit I did do that before... I'm not going to do that anymore - my new semester resolution :)
ARTS STUDENTS
Give campus a Groundhog Day feel: you keep running into the same ones year after year. Still tortured by Foucault, still fine-tuning that essay on post-modernism ... still on anti-depressants and figuring out what the hell to do with themselves. Upon graduation, these dilettantes drift into fast food or telemarketing - or even another degree. Remain a drain on taxpayers for the rest of their lives.
I'd be really sad if I graduated to work at a fast food outlet one day! :(
CHRISTIANS
Jesus loves you and he's stationed these pamphlet-bearing folk outside the library to prove it. But to achieve His aims, the campus Christian often resorts to serpent-like guile - inviting you to "free barbecues" or "movie nights" which quickly turn into happy-clappy, Bible-bashing sessions where everyone babbles in tongues. Profess purity but are secretly sex-mad - that's why they're all married by 21.
As for this one, it reminds me of what Rob was talking about during Summer Retreat - last Monday and Tuesday. Evangelism, in the popular imagination, has become associated with "comfrontation and conquest" - almost like telemarketing. Obviously, we don't react very well to telemarketers, do we? Evangelism, should be one of making conversations and connections. :)
There's more stuff in that article... so yeah... have a read if you're free.
Ahhh well, O-day is tmrw! =)