foot.note

24 January 2006

Note: This post was meant for 21 Jan 2006. heh. streamyx again failed me... took 3 days for the tmnet guys to get their stuff together. =)

Was shaken by a road bully I met on the road

Happened yesterday at about 10.30pm. John and I had dinner with other JB ex-OCFers (chee chung and sun mei) at Taman Pelangi, and then later Sun Mei + 2 of us went to the Tebrau City Jusco. Was a long jam on the way back home. Traffic was more than just bumper to bumper. I was on the extreme left lane.

Then a car tried to squeeze into my lane from the left side, which was not a proper lane at all. I didn't give way to him and continued to inch forward. He continued to cut into my lane and was much more aggressive in his driving. So I still kept on refusing to let him in and continued to inch forward.

The thing is... he didn't even signal at all, or even tried to ask me if he could cut into my lane. Was really frustrated la me...just refused to give way.

Then the trailer-crane in front of us stopped suddenly, and both us nearly kissed its back. John said..."just let him in la"... - which I did, since I mean...might as well let him in then to make an accident. But even when he cut in, he didn't even say thank you and gave me that look.

Then I flashed my headlights at him.

And then he stopped right there on the road and got out of his car. I thought, "That's it. I'm going to be so dead."

People kept on horning behind cos the traffic was already starting to move a bit.

He just stood there outside of his car staring at me. I decided to open my door a bit, stretched out my head and apologized to him. I dunno.. I just felt it was better to back off then to avoid a confrontation. Never know if he has a weapon or a parang...too many cases of road bullying in Johor recently.

Really thank God for keeping me and John safe and sound. Yeah, and please pray for me that I'd learn to be more patient and nice to other people on the road. It's really hard to be courteous to other drivers here in Malaysia...since most people drive like monsters. Sometimes, it might not be your fault... but it's really not worth it to be involved with road bullies. In the end, you'll only cause your parents to worry about you. Dad doesn't know, I told my mum about it this morning.

Anyway, before that...
Lindy and John came over to my place for a night after arriving from KK at about 11.30pm or so. Had roti bom at a mamak stall near my place, with teh ais. Brekfast was lamb chops made by my mum, lunch was at a HK-style eatery near my church.

Sent Lindy to the Larkin bus station, where we sent her off to take the express bus back to Singapore. Later had dinner with Sun Mei and Chee Chung at Taman Pelangi. Sun Mei's a returnee from OCF Curtin, left in mid-2003. She now works as a project coordinator at RBC Ministries - yup, they translate and publish the Daily Bread. The Asia-Pacific HQ is in Johor Bahru, so yeah was quite interesting when she showed us around the office...Stacks and stacks of ODB everywhere... cos the office handles deliveries to Indonesia, Singapore, Japan, Malaysia...yeah basically everywhere in the Asia-Pacific region. Really fruitful ministry she's in.

Psst. Did you know the English edition of RBC is out 9 months before its scheduled date? RBC writers in USA write them in English, then the staff in other RBC offices across the world translates them into 37 languages! How cool is that. Hey trish, no Korean ODB though. Nor Vietnamese.

After that, i.e. today,

Was supposed to go Singapore with John to have lunch with his cousin and maybe to attend the pre-departure seminar. And later to attend Moses' (my JC classmate) 21st birthday. Unfortunately, John fell sick... so I think we'd probably be hosting him until Monday evening when he flies back to Perth.

Which is fine by me! More company and late nights talking about everything under the sun! =)

p/s: Yes yes, I'll definitely post my Taiwan photos and blog about Day 3 to 5. Just gotta give me more time!