Monday afternoon. And it's still raining here in JB! It stopped a bit overnight, but it's now back to more rain.
Raindrops keep falling on my head, they keep fallin'...
Falling like rain... No, I don't get to hold her tonight... (Anthony Callea's "Rain")
Urm anymore "rain" songs? lol.
Was browsing through val's photos with her bf on their trip to San Francisco and LA. It's so beautiful, esp. Golden Gate Bridge and Disneyland. I really wish I could go to the US again - I was in Chicago once in 2000 for some kind of "Talent Development Programme" which my school sent 12 of us on. Actually, it was more of a holiday for the 5 of us who did Java Programming. But that's another story for another (rainy) day.
You looked really happy in the photos! And I'm happy for you that weixiang (I hope I got the name correct) loves you a lot, and for who you are. That's a real blessing indeed. =)
And then, I read on mabel's blog that she has just returned from Vancouver! Hey, if you're reading this, I accidentally deleted your msn a few months back cos' I had two of your msn accounts... and I deleted the one which was in use, so there. =( Remember to add me in... I dunno whether you're on yahoo, or hotmail... And I also dunno whether is there a .sg or not behind it! lol. Glad you're back too. Must be an experience you'll never forget. =)
Anyway... if you were reading The Star yesterday and today, there's this brouhaha about a Lebanese businessman who donated RM 1 billion to set up a research centre for cancer. That was reported in yesterday's papers. Today, the Star reported people were accusing him for corruption and other illegal business dealings. And now he's under investigation I think.
I don't really know what to make out of this.
Firstly, you kind of get the impression that people are out on a smear campaign to tarnish his name. After all, RM 1 billion is certainly no small sum of money. Btw, it's much more than the SGD 600, 000 that Mrs GCT called "peanuts" in the NKF fiasco.
But, you also go away with the feeling that this guy is not doing charity for charity's sake aka, being altruistic.
Why name the centre after your 19-year-old wife?
Or say stuff in today's papers, I quote:
"... claimed one of his houses in Kuala Lumpur was worth RM 27 million".
"I am in the midst of acquiring several major hotels in Malaysia".
Something seemed weird about today's headlines as well. It was - "'Billionaire' in a spot".
What spot? Being investigated by police? Or a media circus?
And then, I had a good weekend in Singapore. To attend Ruby and Weiyao's wedding ceremony and dinner. They looked so happy and blessed!
Was also nice to catch up with OCFers I've not seen in a while - Rebecca, Jane, Andrew, Chee Chung to name a few... Oh.. and was also happy to see Pastor Max and Aunty Patsy at the wedding. =)
Thurs I met Jeremy in the afternoon for a drink. Went from Orchard MRT to Kinokuniya, and then to Borders, and back to Kinokuniya.. where he bought his Chinese History book. Gosh! We're so nerdy.
At the Politics / History section of Kino:
me: "I think I might meet my future wife here in this section of Kino. I come to this part of Kino so often!"
jere: "Do you see any girls around?"
*glances around*. All guys! =(
Then I met jw and daryl for dinner. At Fish & Co again! Seafood platter was absolutely good. C'est bien!
Friday afternoon I met john at Orchard... bummed around at PS a bit... at night was OCF gathering at Alvin Tjipto's place. Again, glad to see so many familiar faces. But hmm I didn't know quite a few people there too.
Saturday afternoon. Ben, Lindsey, James, Lindy, John, Soong Peng came into JB from S'pore to catch their flight to Kota Kinabalu. So chee chung and me drove them to the airport. They looked so tired! Add to the fact that it was raining all day. And so many roads leading to town were flooded. So I had to stop at a petrol station to ask for alternative routes. No way I was going to endanger my dad's car by going through the flood. Sekali the car stalls in the middle because water was seeping into the engine. And I'll be stuck... and my dad will be so mad at me! lol. Had lunch? dinner? tea? at 4pm at a restaurant near the airport. So much food! I brought back some leftover roast duck, cos I was err.. the only one who stays in JB, save chee chung who had a wedding dinner to rush to after that. Hope you all have a safe trip in KK! White water rafting, climbing Mount Kinabalu. !!
Ok think I've written a lot for today... so I'll stop here.
p/s: d, taipei this saturday! Must start to make a plan soon!