foot.note

30 December 2005

And so... my handphone (or if u prefer the word mobile) number here is +6017-796 4680.

Decided I'll just get a maxis / hotlink prepaid since it's only RM 8.80 and so many of the malaysian ocf-ers are on 012 / 017 - i.e. 5 or 10 sen sms-es, depending on the plan you use. so cheap hoh. =)

Kind of thought about the things I hope to do next year... not exactly a resolution I'm talking about here, since I've kind of given up on them... =)

1. I'd really love to be the Convention rep for OCF Perth next year. heh. And hopefully for 2007 Conv too. =) As for other areas of service to OCF, I'm still praying about it. Thought of a few areas which I could serve... but we'll see where LC thinks I'm best in... =) Is it better to serve in an area which I feel comfortable in, or go to an area which I know I'll be challenged because doing so would involve skills which I know I'm weak in?

2. Definitely will apply for the ANU Summer Scholarships for 2006. And for that to happen, I've got to continue to keep my marks up... get to know my lecturers better... so I won't be racking my head for 2 referees. I should probably be getting G. Finaldi as one of my referees... the history lecturer whom me and Jeremy visit so often... who's really nice to us... who helped me re-read my Fascism essay and continued to ask me to update him as to how my re-mark was going... whom I keep bumping into at Broadway... and his very beautiful and cute daughter haha... whose unit I'll be taking in Sem 2 next year... 20th Century British history! how cool is that. I'll write an essay on Prince Charles. haha... kidding.

Yeah... I've been researching abt this ANU summer scholarship for months already... and next year's the right time to go... cos u must at least be 2nd / 3rd year... and intending to do Honours if you want to apply. And I was quite happy I got to meet ocf-ers who are currently doing the summer scholarship... think it was danny from ocf adelaide. There were also OCF-ers from ANU... so yeah, got to find out a bit more about ANU and its research from them... ANU's a really research-intensive uni... =) The scholarship's really worth trying.. u get full board at an ANU college for about 10 weeks... u get a weekly allowance (which I heard is quite generous... like $200 p/w), u get return air tickets to Canberra (I demand Qantas, no less. Not going to sit on Virgin Blue. hah.) But think most of all, it looks really good on your CV.

Got to devise a research topic... and hopefully ANU thinks it's sth that's worth doing... I did think about what I'll do at ANU during next summer... when I can't go to sleep at night... Thought of Malaysian or Indonesian politics... specifically about democratisation, Islam, or maybe strategic or defence issues... but hmm yeah... long way to come... but doesn't hurt to think first. =)

3. Which means... I might not get to go to Conv 2006, isn't it? =(

Danny was telling me he managed to squeeze time to go to Conv 2005... cos his supervisor went on holiday that week... and he managed to get leave to come to Perth... so yeah, hope everything falls in place... I'd really love to go to Melb next year... now I know why Andrew said "if you go to Conv once, you'd want to go to it again"... =)

4. Why do I want to go to so many places... Sydney's on my 2006 to-do list also...

Ever since I came to Perth, I've always wanted to visit Sydney. Call it the big-city vibe inside me or sth. I love big cities. Esp. if English isn't exactly the predominant language. You can go there... get lost... and feel the excitement, the rush of getting lost. =)

And you always learn new things by getting lost, in all sense of the word.

That little alley you never knew.

Or even just a new way of doing things.

They said... maybe it's better if I visited Melb... cos it's more "orderly and neat"... But Sydney really attracts me! I guess it's just the big melting point of people, the huge mass of people, the sights and sounds etc of Syd...

Let's just say I must go to the East at least once before I stop going on and on about the bright lights of Sydney.

You know... I'm from the forgotten corner of Australia here. Maybe not. It's Darwin, isn't it?

p/s: 2 weeks to taipei. daryl! hee.