foot.note

08 November 2005

Global Governance PS 232

We just had the exam for this unit... answer 3 essays (out of 10) within 2hr 10 minutes. Quite a challenge, and I must say I didn't exactly write a 3rd essay. I just did point form, although the points were quite elaborated upon... as I only had 25 minutes to write the last essay. The exam was, quite difficult, IMO, even though we had some exam hints already. The difficult part is in actually linking the parts of the questions up, as you can see later. But overall, I'd say the exam was ok for me... and by a stroke of luck, I will bag a HD.

The questions I did were:
2) Assess the relative importance of different international actors in enabling the liberation movement in South Africa to undermine the apartheid regime's assertion of absolute sovereignty, and discuss the implications of this process of regime change for international action to promote responsible sovereignty.

6) Falk writes that "genocidal politics" is a sign of "extreme failure" when "assessed by common Westphalian standards of performance" such as the Genocide Convention, yet he comments that establishing "genocide-prevention forces under UN authority is one direction of assault upon hard core Westphalian ideas of sovereignty." Discuss the gap between the legal obligations of states to prevent genocide and their practical commitment to doing this, by comparing 2 cases since the Cold War.

8) To what extent do Falk calls the "formidable obstacles" to the effective and legitimate institutionalisation by the International Criminal Court of legal accountability for the perpetrators of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes result from what he refers to as "the hierarchy of states in the actual operation of international relations"?

As you can see, every question has multiple parts... Was quite tough linking them together to form a coherent arguement given the short time we had, approx. 40 mins per question.

USA History 1845 - 1945 HY 275

Surprise surprise! Proud to announce that I've officially bagged my first HD in this semester.

Mid-sems: 21.625 / 25 (86.5%)
Essay plan: 12.6 / 15 (84%)
Essay: 32 / 40 (80%) - Remember the Chinese in San Francisco essay I was telling ppl about? =)

Don't know the tutorial participation mark exactly, but on our essays, the lecturer wrote down our course marks also... yah, so he calculated everything already...

And I got a 82 HD. Haha... =)

European Fascism HY 231

Which obviously leaves me quite bewildered. I put in so much effort to this, I'm sure the essay answers the requirements.... but why 68? And it is really an anomaly, considering that I got 80 85 85 for the other 3 units' research essays...

That's why, it's going for a re-mark tomorrow by the unit coordinator.... Hope it turns out ok. The result may very well go down... and u got to accept it. But I'm willing to take the risk. Cos I believe my essay is worth more than a 68.

Australian Foreign Policy PS 213

Tell you more after the (last) examination tomorrow.... =)