foot.note

02 September 2005

Have been reading and doing my essay plan throughout the day... let's see, the time now is 3.59am. The essay plan is due later (Friday) at 5pm. I'm not too sure whether my plan looks coherent... the question that I've formulated and I'm proposing to do is:

How significant is the universalist human rights discourse and / or regime in explaining attempts towards (and against) democratisation and "responsible governance" in Indonesia and Malaysia in recent years? Can dissimilarities in trajectories of political culture liberalisation between these two countries then be attributed to differing emphases on the role of this discourse?

And then I realised, I came up with this question and I didn't seem to know how to put an essay plan onto that question.... I've tried my best though so I'm going to sleep and continue to refine it tomorrow.

Anyway, this essay plan is worth 10% of the unit, and the lecturer will modify it (in most cases, I believe) so as to align it closer to the themes and "expected learning outcomes" of the unit. Actually, it is kinda fun to formulate your own essay topic. I know I've been complaining about it when I first heard about it...