Well... the mid-sems for US History was pretty okie to me... hopefully, I'll do quite well for this one. But I'm seriously lucky cos' I spotted correctly... and it was quite a huge gamble actually.
You see, what happened was on Monday (i.e. 2 days ago), the lecturer gave us 26 terms, of which only 6 will appear, and we're supposed to do 2 terms, and 6 essay questions, of which only 3 essay questions will appear, and we do one.
I did a detailed essay plan for only 1 essay and I kind of ignored the rest, cos I've been really tired these few days. So within 2 days, I managed to churn out all the answers for the 26 terms, and only prepared for 1 essay. And thank God the question appeared among the 3 questions today... so it was really lucky. I also managed to do the bonus question... there are 6 terms, you do 2 right? If you can do another 1 more term correctly, you get 3 marks more. Haha... the kiasu Singaporean (or Malaysian?) in me. =P
It was quite risky because I spent so much time preparing for the terms, and they are only worth 30% of the exam, and the essay was worth 70%. Btw, the exam was only 1 hour.
Anyway, the terms that came out were:
1. Louisiana Purchase.
2. Georgia vs. Cherokee Nation.
3. Declaration of Sentiments.
4. Dred Scott.
5. Treaty of Paris.
6. (and another one I can't remember)
I did 1, 4, and 5.
The essay question which I did, and really mugged for, and I'm so lucky that it appeared cos' I didn't know how to do any other, was:
Can the United States be defined as an imperial nation? If not, why not, and how does it differ from imperial nations? If so, when did the United States become "imperial"? Describe the causes and effects of empire in economic, racial, and gendered terms across the 19th C.
Okie lah I know I've got no life or sth... I think I'm seriously losing my life to my school work already. Kind of slacking now, but I've got a Pol Sci tute at 4pm, and I've not done the readings yet cos' I was studying for US History mid-sems. My next assignment is the essay plan and annotated bibilography for Global Governance, due end of next week. sigh.