foot.note

11 July 2005

Saw the exam results at about 10am today... wasn't really that "excited" cos' I sort of knew that 1) they were all HDs - i.e. each unit was 80 and above, and 2) the average was 82 like about a week ago. Anyway, I'm quite happy needless to say... was quite surprised that ES was the highest, cos I'm always under the impression ES Dept is quite prudent (stingy?) with their marks... also quite surprised that Anthrop was the lowest (exactly on the HD barrier) becos' I thought we were quite prepared for the exam (jere: private joke. heh.)... PS was quite a pleasant surprise (am I using too many "surprises" here?) cos' before the exam, my mark was 79.1% (with 55% of the unit already calculated by then)... and History isn't surprising cos' I knew the exact result even before I came back home.

Erm mum, dad, sis & me drove out to S'pore after lunch.. and I met Raymond's mum (whom I've never actually seen before) at Wisma Atria to pick up his loud hailer... It's for Convention later this year, you see. It was really nice of her to buy me a drink heh... bought ice lemon tea; which was like $3.70 I think.. not exactly the cheapest thing to buy.

Hung around at cousin Moon's place while my folks drove back home... and I was trying to be a good uncle to Allie and Hana - 3 years and 1+ year respectively. I think, young children are really dying to tell you what they have learnt.

Allie runs over with a picture book.

Allie: "Alligator!"
Allie: "Giraffe!"
Me trying to sound impressed: "Yes yes. Allie-gator (lol) and giraffe! Smart girl!"

And then she started peeing in Moon's room... didn't think Moon was very impressed with that. heh.

Left their place at about 5pm and hung around at Kino Taka... as usual, you'll find me at the European History / Politics section.

Had dinner with mabz at the Food Street @ Chinatown... ate Ah Balling and a very (sinful and oily, but necessary) plate of or jian haha... I just have to. You know, if you walk around Chinatown and observe the ang moh tourists... you can actually 1) see how Orientalism works - in the Edward Said context - i.e. the iconography and representation of East and West, "coloniser" and "colonised" etc, and 2) the ang moh tourist's incessant search for "authencity" - from Thai massage, to Chinese calligraphy. "Authencity" seems to be like the key thing these guys are looking for. I mean, well, I do admit I look for the "genuine" when I'm abroad too.

Evidence:
When I'm in Australia,
Me: "Aye. This one Made in China one. I'm not buying."

Walked over to Clarke Quay to the Coffee Bean... hmm, the night ambience's really nice there... and I had to have lemon tea again. Say, someone did mention when I was in CHS that lemon tea makes one impotent... cos we kept on drinking lemon tea over and over again during recess and lunch time. lol. =P

Sianz... no one's online...