Well.. I came to the library early enough at 9am today.. and I was visiting jw's blog.. and suddenly the music on his site started playing on the comp.. and as I frantically tried to click off the "close" button... I found myself clicking on the "reduce page" icon... how embarrassing. For five seconds I think everyone in the lab was looking across at me. I didn't know there was music on your blog... haha the wonders of broadband =P. Next time I must be informed if there's music on anyone's blog yah. =)
Star Wars. Watched it at Innaloo Greater Union.. the whole building's like custom-built for watching movies.. very unlike our cinema-cum-shopping centre style concept. I thought I liked the sound system there too.. urm one thing that's different here is that there are no numbered seats when you buy the tickets, so you've got to come early if you want the best seats. That's like pretty inefficient.. come to think of it. Oh the show was okie... I've got to agree with jw's that it's somewhat repeated bordering on contrived. As a matter of fact, I slept for about 20 minutes in the middle... mainly cos' I was really tired. I woke up to see the battle of "good" and "bad" begin... sorry I'm never good at remembering names in Hollywood films. Though I do remember that Ewan McGregor looks really old in Star Wars.. and that's cos' I have a lasting impression of Moulin Rouge in 2001.. Alvin burned the soundtrack for quite a number of us in 4/8 and d watched the movie twice. First time was with the class and I couldn't make it... and second time with me cos' I asked him to watch along with me haha.
Maybe I'm better talking about European films. There's this one we're doin' this week called "All About My Mother", whose director is Pedro Almodovar... supposedly the most brilliant Spanish director to emerge after Franco's death in 1977. His films are full of transsexuals and transvestites, and basically that's to question the static identities that was imposed during Franco's regime - i.e. man vs. woman, women as subordinate, nationalism, Catholicsm etc. In "All about my Mother", Penelope Cruz (ooo.) plays Rosa (a nun), and she's impregnated by Lola, a transsexual (hey. what's the diff btwn a transsexual and a transvestite?)... so there you see the veiled criticism of the supposed dichotomies. But there's also a strong sense of "wanting to reconcile" with the past, as seen from Esteban's desire to know who his father was (also Lola, but different mum in Manuela).. but never got to, cos' he was run over by a car while trying to seek Huma's (a famous actress) autograph... Anyway...
Europe. I feel it incessantly calling out to my soul. When will I ever be there again?