foot.note

27 May 2005

I locked myself out of the house (again) (and again)... so I'd have to hang out in the library and wait for my housemates to bail me out... which is like god-knows-when. Like, I always forget to bring my keys out... and when I close my door, I go.. "dammmm!!!"

Anyway, before I went out... I was watching the live coverage of Schapelle Corby's verdict. She's been sentenced for 20 years... and everyone here's pissed about it. I think John Howard said last night that people should accept the verdict, and let the Indonesian system run its course. It's pretty apparent to me that it's going to spiral into a diplomatic conflict - cos' one of Corby's representatives were saying after the judgment that "look. When Indonesia was hit by the tsunami, Australia was the biggest donor (I agree) and Australia lost 9 of her sons and daughters when their army helicopter crashed in Nias when they were helping out with the (2nd) earthquake... now we're just asking that she be brought home." I got the feeling he was insunating that "look. they've wasted another one of our lives." It was certainly a very emotional trial, cos' the mother and relatives were hurling insults at the judges after the verdict was passed and the media was oh well. You know media lo. For you back home, basically what happened was that Corby was arrested at Bali (Denpasar) Airport on 8 October 2004 for having 4.1 kg of marijuana in her bag. She claims that she had no knowledge that the drugs were there and that it was the victim of some botched smuggling plan. For the prosecution, their case was that "you are found in possession = you must be guilty"... The case was then further complicated when it was discovered that last month, Qantas bag handlers were found guilty of being in another (separate case) cocaine smuggling gang - so that obviously raised questions about the legitimacy of the prosecution's case in Corby. According to media here, the Corby case was turned into a big media circus... and I seem to agree... As you know, there's no death sentence in Australia.. and Corby was actually facing death by firing squad. People are saying that she's hasn't got a fair trial, or they say, a "fair go". I remembered watching opinion polls that 92% of Australians believe she's innocent, and 8% otherwise. Well, *shrugs*, I hope that the truth prevails of course. But ya know, truth is a very, very dubious concept.