foot.note

02 May 2005

Hmm.. Guess I should write sth about the Convention fund-raising dinner, eh? Kind of realised that today is a public holiday in Singapore, yesterday being a Sunday and Labour day...

The dinner was held at Subiaco Church of Christ.. the church where most OCF Perth ppl go to. And yeah.. it was really successful. Think about 200 people came (one ticket was $10 each) .. and there was also a raffle ticket sale.. my job was to be at the reception table.. and boy, I guess I really learnt a lot in such a short time. Cos' like all these guests were coming in within such a short span of time, and the 3 of us (+ Becky + Pamela) were trying to allocate ppl onto tables... taking note of their preferences about whom they want to sit with (from Subi church? From Dalkeith church? So and so's friends? from OCF?)... and we also had to counter-check their tickets and all... Plus, Becky and Pamela are from OCF Curtin... so they don't come to Subi church... so only I recognise the "familar" places... wow. really busy night, come to think back on it. We didn't really have much of a cost as well, cos' we got all the aunties in the church to cook... and luckily I wasn't in the kitchen, like.. they were all busy washing stuff inside there... and the three of us also had the privilege of sitting at the front counter the entire duration.. and having ppl bring food for us to eat... cos' must look after the money mah =) haha. Think I was quite happy when some auntie, and she's an ang moh, told me I was such a polite boy... haha. she might not be true, but I was still happy. Maybe not all of them are biased against Asians... hmm.

The food was so good, precisely because it was home-cooked food... Glenna and Jonathan were the MCs... the Convention theme song was played by You Yan (who composed it) and Patrick.. hmm. Think it really went well, cos that was the feedback we got.. I know this sounds pretty banal, but the Convention Committee would really like to thank you guys for all the effort that was put in for the dinner... great job =) And while the rest were cleaning up the tables (all 29 of them X 8 per table), the three of us were counting $ in some tiny room in the church haha... Guess there's just so much to say... let's just wait till I get the photos on.. hmm Saturday, when the committee meets up again... Saturday was such a long day.. started at 8am, and ended at midnight... non-stop.

I guess that's the main objective.. to fund-raise money NOT from ourselves, but to reach out from the wider community... it'd be quite meaningless if we're funding from ourselves, to subsidise for Convention at the end of the year right? Registration forms have been sent to the eastern states already... so we'll see.

And now that the dust has settled on the dinner, there'll be another fundraiser (a quiz night to be precise) in Semester 2.. and I've got a gut feeling that Sam and me will be in charge of that... cos that dinner on Saturday was led by Chin Wee.. who's from Curtin.. and the whole dinner subcommittee's from Curtin as well... there's also OCF Murdoch... and all their members are probably vet students.. heard Murdoch's vet science is world-class.. dunno how true is that.

Back to assignments... really quite stressed over here.. Anthropology research essay is due on Monday.. haven't really started yet.. Must remember to write in simple language, cos the tutor can't grasp complex arguments anyway.