foot.note

30 March 2005

A quick jot before I go to pay the amenities bill (a compulsory fee on all students - AUD 60 per semester - it's like a kind of student union fee - but Howard is abolishing this fee wef 2006, causing a huge uproar among the student guilds of Oz cos they say they will not have enough funding then to pay for "essential" services that students need, e.g. cheaper hot dogs at caferias, child care for students who are already parents etc) - of cos, anything that reduces my pocket is always welcomed by me. At most, I'll just go somewhere further to buy cheap hot dogs. =P And also go to THE office to talk to the officer - not to be revealed yet, but only some ppl do know what I'm hinting about.

Yesterday's trip to Pinjarra was okay. But it wasn't my idea of a camp (read: arcade, downtown-east-like-style kind).. There were like all English cottages with weird names like Shakespeare, Clive, Wolfe, Belfast etc. Quite an ulu place also - about 1.5 hours drive away from Perth. I guess pictures say more than words, so will post the photos as soon as I get 'em from Lindy. Hmm Andrew, me, John and Lindy went.. so Andrew picked me up first, then we went to Murdoch where she's studying vet science (I heard Murdoch's pretty world-renowned for vet science) and later John joined us at Murdoch too.. yeah.

The weather's pretty cold these days.. tmrw's peak, as u can see, is only 19 C. It's about 22 C or so now. Maybe winter's coming... time to get out that windbreaker of mine haha.

Heard about the second tsunami that struck Sumatra yesterday. Quite tragic, huh. It's like the scars are still there, and it comes all over again. Life's so unfair.

Kind of struggling over my PS and Anthrop. essays now.. and the deadline is on Monday. The Anthrop essay is quite interesting - "Describe and analyse a rite of passage that you, or someone you know well, has been through." (500 words).

Just about any other S'porean guy i know is writing about NS - and I don't have the richness of knowledge (and passion) to write about sth I've never been through. I'm thinking along the lines of JC orientation though - things like the mass dance etc. - that counts as a rite of passage I think, but I'm still figuring out how to make it sound less narrative and more analytical. What's the significance of mass dance, or having orientation, or playing angel or mortal? Could it be a coming of age? Maybe I shouldn't think so much. After all, it's only 500 words.