Lots of pretty girls to see too. Both blonde and Asian. But anyway. The weather today was quite hot though - about 31 or 32 C. Some guy sprayed water at me using some powerful hose. I believe that was for good fun. I didn't mind though, but was dripping wet. =)
Tomorrow is WA State Election Day, not to be confused with the General Elections Australia had in October 2004. The incumbent party is the Labour Party led by Geoff Gallop, and basically it has been dominated by two issues.
1. Liberal opposition leader Colin Barnett's plan to build a 3700km (!) canal that will bring Kimberley (that's in the north) water to Perth. He estimates it's about AUD 2 billion, but critics say it's going to cost 5 times of that. Labour's solution to our water woes is desalination, which is getting progressively cheaper.
2. Besides the elections, there's also a refrerendum tomorrow which will ask Western Australians whether do we want extended shopping hours, which means, I think, opening till 9pm (only) from Monday to Saturday, and also an option to open for 6 hours on Sunday. It's actually against the law to open your business beyond some hour over here, which explains why nothing was open when I went to the city hoping to grab a bite at 7pm on a Monday. I forgot I wasn't in Singapore. heh. Not too sure whether the "Yes" vote will prevail, or it's the nay vote. Obviously, I'm hoping it's a "Yes" = more shopping, and the possibility of more casual jobs. The "Nay" proponents are bombarding us over TV and every media avenue that extended business hours will erode family life, close down local business, get swept away by the Eastern giant chains like Woolworths and Coles etc etc. We'll see what happens tmrw, eh.
Interestingly enough, John Howard has also decided to send 450 more troops to Iraq, which is basically doubling the current commitment. Obviously, a lot of people are upset over that and there have been protests when he came over to Perth two days ago to help Colin Barnett to campaign.
Prince Charles is visiting Australia next week as well, w/o his Camilla Bowles. He's scheduled to stop over in Perth.
Went to pay the school fees. But not before losing the invoice along the way (I must have lost in the mess of the O-Day), and having to go to Student Administration to get a replacement copy. And being told the right place to go is the International Office. Thank god they didn't charge for issuing a replacement copy. These days, I think that the uni is trying to squeeze us of anything they could possibly come up with. If you're late to re-enrol for 2005 (i.e. choosing your units after 16/12/04), you pay a charge of $100. $100! Imagine.
As we were walking round the Oval (literally), we came across STA Travel and the UWA Exchange Booth just next to each other. Made a stop and listened to a 2nd year Arts, History guy tell me about how fascinating his student exchange to the University of Vienna was.
"You need to speak German if you're going to Austria, no?"
And I was thinking about the Amazing Race I was watching yesterday, I think it was the 5th or 6th season - where the teams were going from Senegal to Berlin. I was like, Berlin! I've been THERE before. Like, actually knowing the difference between a S-Bahn and an U-Bahn.
I was/am like, "Europeeeeee..." *dreams*
And lastly, I'm reminding you guys again to send your e-mails to leec36@tartarus.uwa.edu.au . I can't access gmail no more, at least not in the uni and when there's no net in my place.
I can't wait for school to start on Monday. Honestly. No wait, it's Tuesday. No lecture on Monday.