Sunday was pretty ok. Went to church in the morning, and had lunch with the rest of 'em at a Chinese restaurant called "Everybody Happy" (I'm sure I got it wrong, cos' I'm translating from da jia le) in Victoria Park.
Joseph asked if I'd like to play bball with him and a few other friends at the uni recreation centre. Obliged, but found it a very humbling experience - especially if you consider that last time I remotely touched a ball was like in, urm, JC, or even Sec 4? Give me the bicycle anytime yah. =)
There was this programme on SBS yesterday that was talking about the evolution of the English language, and how it's the dominant working language of so many international organisations these days, even surpassing French. We were laughing like siao when they were talking about Singapore and Singlish, cos they actually did a re-enactment about how Singaporeans supposedly talk like. And with the subtitles provided, it really made for a good laugh. Excerpts:
"aiyah, thailand economy so bad, indonesia economy also like dat, so what to do?"
"you eaten or not arh?"
For one, I'm sure most of us don't sound like that (like the TV enactment) even when we're talking like dat. It just came across as totally... fake.
But then, it's always interesting to see how other's (aka ang moh programmes) actually portray us.
Still think it rubs of some kind of cultural colonialism. But anyway.
Continued to watch "No Man's Land" on SBS.. Cool war film, about the war in Bosnia and the myth of neutrality of the UN peacekeeping force. I guess the film was trying to question whether doing nothing (i.e. mere patrolling) is actually taking sides (btwn the Serbs and Bosnians). I think it should be one of the films we're doing in ES 101 this semester as well. Very good watch.
I'm now in the Mathematics library - only smart people know where to go to avoid the big queues at the Reid Library haha. It's Monday but I've got no lectures on a Monday. So I'm still hanging around for the day.
So what kind of award you're applying for, d? Keep me posted yah. No place's too far to say "hey".
=)
p/s: psst. I was reading the POST this morning and it wrote that Prince Charles will be visiting UWA when he stops over in Perth this week. *star-struck*. heh. Hope I get a glimpse of him.