foot.note

16 January 2005

I don't wish to exaggerate things, but we had another blackout this morning. 2.05am to be exact... - marked characteristically by the air-cons grinding to a halt haha. The electricity only came back at 4.30am. In the meantime, a few of us were playing musical chairs, i.e. searching for the best ventilated room to sleep in. Found myself sleeping in my sister's room with my mum, and my sister went over to dad's room. As for my brother, well, he continued sleeping all the way through.

Went to clear things up at my old place this morning / afternoon. Folks' room were in a mess all right, but I was only supposed to clean up my room. Peered at all the old secondary books again before tying them up to be sold to karung guni. Luckily, they didn't take away the family photo albums.

But we lost our collection of commerative coins.. you know those coins which the MAS issues every CNY. And, my mum lost all her jewellery. Although it isn't a lot to speak of in the first place, she lost her wedding ring. Which is well, quite sad, and some say it's a bad omen. Touch wood. Must remind my dad to buy a new ring for her - although it's quite obvious all the jewellery is gone, he is probably that blur to forget that the wedding ring was included in the loot as well. My mum didn't dare to tell him cos she's afraid he'll scold her or sth like that.

However, it's fun to pore through all those photo albums again.

"Mummy, you so pretty last time leh! 25 years ago... Oh, and Aunty Shirley (mum's 3rd sister) as well!"

"Wah, I got a Distinction for so-and-so Australian Maths competition in Sec 2. But how come now my Maths so bad?"

House is cleared of its mess now... hoping to rent it out in the near future :)

Watched the match, but only up to half-time before deciding that s'pore is probably going to win the Tiger Cup. Actually, I thought Jai Wahab's rendition of the Majulah Singapura sounded somewhat awkward. I think it was a bit too fast. Very unlike the one that we sing in schools. Thought the Indonesian national anthem had lots of meaning. Remembered hearing the words "tanah tumpah darahku" (soil / place of birth / blood) (and the exact words can be found in Malaysia's national anthem as well) , and "cinta" (love) - all these appeal to the nationalist in people; the constant reference to the motherland (negara). Majulah Singapura, if you look closer at the lyrics (and as the title suggests), appeals to the developer in us, the idea of forging a progressive nation. Hmm... I'm suddenly having lots of brillant ideas as to what I might do if I get to honours. haha.