foot.note

30 October 2004

I kind of feel DAMN slack now, and this is definitely not a good thing, considering my exams start on 12 Nov. I always have this problem of complacency.. once I do well for sth, I start to automatically slack.. walk around, do nothing much. It's actually quite difficult to study for SOMETHING when u're in arts, come to think of it. For one, it's so wide.. and it's like, my readings and notes for PS 102 alone easily surpasses 800+ pages or so.. there's no way I'm gonna (re)-read my readings etc. And PS is just one unit out of the four units, all of which are heavy-reading units. But at least I feel I'm in a stable position cos I keep track of my work during the semester, as in, I never let myself fall behind the lectures and tutes. DON'T. once u do, u'll just find that it's impossible to catch up with anything.

You see why in my case, it is easy to be complacent?
1. The exams take up 40% of the entire unit. This applies to all my four units. And this is not a heavy weightage, considering that ppl doing econs/commerce/ engineering have a >65% weightage for their exams.

2. For my anthropology unit, I only need 57.5% for the exam, to get 80% (which is a HD), for my entire unit. That's like giving me so much room to slack.. i wish I didn't do that well for my essay.. then I'd probably be mugging much much harder right now. The only unit which I don't feel that confident about getting a D/HD is political science.. I know I'm on top of my material as far as ANT, HA and ES are concerned.. and it just makes me NOT want to do anything much more. I'd better start to do more work.. Jason just came into the library and he came to talk to me for a while, before disappearing into the study room. His exam starts on 6 Nov, and he's an economics student.

U know, I had a really nice and sweet dream yesterday.. which is rare, since u guys know that I'm only capable of dreaming weird and terrifying stuff. And this dream sounds coherent also, if u're looking at the macro-view of the dream. Of cos, the nitty-gritty details did not make sense - my mum was going on a holiday to sudan (!), which obviously isn't likely to happen. But of cos, that was just part of the entire dream, of which I shan't elaborate any further.

It's a pity I don't have the opportunity to meet up with marc when I come back to s'pore.. cos he's being posted to thailand for a year beginning 27 Nov.. *shrugs*.. take care ya?

Lastly, there was a "thunderstorm" in my place just now.. I think Fan was damn pissed with Leo for not cleaning up the stove after he spilled oats all over it, and it kind of solidified into some sticky gooey thing, which looked a bit like candle wax to me. Think they kind of argued - and I didn't say anything cos' I didn't want to take sides. But I kind of asked both of them individually after they quarelled if "they're ok or not".. That's the thing if you want to stay out, and if u're considering going on a student exchange or sth, this is good advice for u guys. Of cos it's cheaper to stay out, as compared to the uni colleges where food, cleaning etc is provided for u. But u've really got to make sure u don't do things that may inadvertently offend your housemates when u're staying in a house. In my place, I'm not having any problems becos' i'm by far the youngest (yeah!) and so the other three are like always helping me out with stuff.. but, fan and yuen, are both against leo.. and it's like shrugs, i don't really know. I think it stems from the fact that we're from quite different backgrounds. Leo is from China, and he's doing his masters in accounting. Fan is, I believe, from China, but he's stayed in Singapore / Australia his whole life.. so he's "assimilated" throughly, if that's the right word to use. Yuen is from Malaysia, Perak to be exact.. and he's also lived in Oz (brisbane) most of his live b4 coming over to perth... also "assimilated" - as a matter of fact, I doubt he can speak chinese cos' he asked me to interpret stuff for him before. So u see where's the origins of the conflict btwn them.. As for me, I try to be as neutral and nice to everyone.. which is really the best thing to do :)

Sorry I know I'm like jumping from topic to topic here.. Noorshida was telling Jeremy and me about how girls relate to each other, and how it is different from how guys connect to each other. Noorshida is about 10 years older than me, but can easily pass off as a 21 year old girl.. also from s'pore, she came to uwa with her husband together with the rest of us in july 04. She's doing fine arts, polit. sci, philosophy (!), and english.. and yeah she wants to go back to s'pore and work in the fine arts scene.. she was saying that "girls are generally jealous of one another, like always wanting to do better than each other, esp. if results are concerned..", and she said that "this is in contrast with guys, who don't let results come in between their friendships.." I wonder how true is that... :)