foot.note

07 October 2004

A chat with Gail Forder
She's the Christian Democrat candidate for Curtin. Bleah. She called me up yesterday night and asked if I'd be happy to go to Floreat or City Beach (instead of UWA) to be a poll worker. I told her that'd be too far away for me.. and she reassigned me to Claremont Primary School this Saturday. Claremont is not too far away from Nedlands (there's a direct bus).. yeah, still looking forward to what's happening on Saturday. I've never talked to an election candidate in Malaysia / Singapore before. Wait a minute, I did. I remembered I was buying the Germany air ticket (Nov 2003) in the JB travel agency, and the MP (from the National Front, or Barisan Nasional (in Malay)) came into the agency too. My dad greeted him as "Yang Berhomat" (= the honourable one).. btw, they know each other. But my dad doesn't have a very good impression of him - sth about him being oblivious to affairs in the constituency, only know how to cut ribbons and kiss babies. Of cos, dad was very happy when Badawi replaced him with Tan Ah Eng (the current MP) for the April 2004 elections. Lots of people giving out brochures and all these days.. Like just now, Jer and I entered the Murdouch Lecture Hall (that's where History 152 lectures are held), and we saw two conflicting brochures being strewn all over on the tables. One writes, "YOU WILL NOT HAVE THIS LECTURE UNDER A LATHAM GOVERNMENT", and the other writes, "DEMISE OF AUSTRALIAN UNIVERSITIES IF HOWARD WAS RE-ELECTED"... hmm, which one to believe?

You are invited to a shopping trip with me
That's right. Today, I'll tell you about what goes through my mind everytime I go shopping at Dewson's (the supermarket just behind UWA). I'll walk in, grab the basket.. walk down the first aisle where all the frozen food are stored. Drool at the ice-creams and cheese cakes, but won't buy any cos' I fear it'd be frozen by the time I take the 10 minute walk back home. Stop at the meat section, wonder what's the difference between chicken thighs, chicken breasts, stir-fry chicken meat etc. Of cos I do know chicken drumsticks and chicken wings look different from the above-mentioned types of chicken meat - so at least I'm not THAT bad :) Walks over the Pepsi / Coke section - what determines whether I buy coke or pepsi that week is not whether I like Christina or Britney (I prefer Britney anyway) (Delta Goodrem is the Pepsi face in Oz), but haha.. which one is cheaper duh. The lowest px for a 2 litre Pepsi (or Coke) is $2.29 here... and it kind of alternates. So Pepsi will be cheaper this week, and Coke the next. You get what I mean ya.

Then of cos, there's the chips. Now I really need some kind of professional help in preventing me from guzzling chips on a gargantuan basis. For the record, I've tasted every Smith type of chips already - you name it, I've eaten it. Salt & vinegar (which sucks btw), Greek herb and peta, Italian tomato and basil, cheese & onion, original favour, Italian cheese, sour cream and onion blah blah blah.

Then I'll start to hunt for cheap pasta and pasta sauce. Pasta is always easier to cook as compared to rice because 1) rice takes a *** time to cook, and 2) it is much easier to clean up the metal pot in which pasta is cooked, then the rice.. which sticks to the darn rice bowl everytime. Wonder how long have I eaten rice?

And then there's the yogurt, and my favourite snickers. Vegetables and fruits are bought at the Station Weekend market at Subiaco - it's fresher and cheaper there. The process kind of repeats itself everytime I'm at Dewsons, and so yeah - u'd probably wonder for how long I've been eating pasta with chicken breast / thigh / stir-fry (I never really knew how to differentiate them anyway) haha.. :)