Europe in the spotlight
A lot of news is coming out from Europe this week; and they are not particularly good news... so yeah just take a moment to pray for them and hope that the situation in Europe gets better.
1) Russia versus Chechnya conflict - the two planes that exploded last week killing 89 people, the woman who blew herself up at a Moscow subway, killing 10 others and this morning saw what is believed to be Chechen rebels taking 400 children and adults in a south Russian school... the hostage crisis is still continuing as I write this. Hope that there'll be a peaceful solution out of this impasse.
2) French journalists taken hostage in Iraq.. this is important to my research cos' I'm doing France and its role in the Iraq War for Political Science. Closely linked to the French ban of Muslim headscarves in public school which begins today.
3) Milosevic has begun his defence against the war crimes that he is accused of in the former Yugoslavia.
Australia Federal Elections - 9 Oct 2004
A contest between incumbent John Howard from the Liberal party, and Mark Latham from the Labour Party.. As for the situation here around UWA / Nedlands area, urm I think Labour is doing quite strongly... yeah universities are always breeding grounds for opposition. heh. quite a number of student protests against the 25% increase in school fees beginning 2005 (though I won't be affected cos' my fees are fixed when I first enter).. so yeah, Labour is doing quite strongly around here. Voting is compulsory in Oz and you'll be fined if you don't come out to vote, so...