foot.note

03 August 2004

I'm about to run off to Anthropology Lecture in 15 minutes time, so I'll just do a broad sweep of events from last Thursday onwards.

Thursday:
Anthropology lecture. The lecturer was talking about "Why Do We Work?" and he said sth like Oz has the 2nd highest working hours per week in the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) - 38 hours per week.

I was sitting in between Winston and Jeremy. And then, Winston said quite loudly enough for everyone near us to hear:

Winston: "But how can it be Australia? When all the shops close at 5pm?"
Jeremy: "Ahem. A bit loud hoh. You want us to get bashed up by ang moh arh?" :)

And there was this particular guy who answered the lecturer's question on why do we work at all.

He shouted from the back, "Well, if we don't work, we'd have to kill the neighbour's dog and use the meat for a barbie." (barbie is Oz speak for barbeque btw).

That was quite funny heh.

Friday:
Went to the film screening of Three Colours: Blue in the afternoon. We're supposed to analyse the film for this week's European Studies tutorial and lecture btw. Three Colours: Blue is part of a trilogy by Krzysztof Kieslowski - a Polish director. The other two films are Three Colours: White and Three Colours: Red. The film is in French (with English subtitles of course) and examines the individual and liberty (for blue), fraternity (for red) and equality (for white) in early 1990s France, 200 years after the French Revolution and the Declaration of Rights for Men, and 3 years after the Fall of the Wall.

Had OCF (Overseas Christian Fellowship) in the evening... bible study. Met this girl who is my Bible Study leader.. her name is Glenna. She seemed quite interested in what I had to say about my Germany trip and adventures. hmm.

Saturday:
Did nothing. Rotted at home and read Anthropology and History.

Sunday:
Went church. Exceptionally cold day. Had lunch with the rest of the OCF-ers in a Vietnamese restaurant at Northbridge.

Monday:
2am: Yuen (my housemate) had spasms in the middle of the night and he had to go to the A & E unit of the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. At the moment, he's still at home recovering... so pray that he'll get well soon.

6pm: Started drizzling... I was at the grocer's buying stuff.. I walked out of the shop and I saw a beautiful (beautiful) rainbow.. and it was a distinct, double rainbow at that! omg. I ran all way back home in the rain, feeling very happy and grabbed my digital camera.. and took a photo of it. gee. it was beautiful. i wish i can post it here on my blog, but sadly, I can't, since I don't have my own personal access to the internet.

Tuesday:
Just had History tutorial on Orientalism. Me and Jeremy went to Jester's Pie for breakfast and I brought him to my place to see my terribly untidy room and table. Look at the melange of stuff I have on my table: a half-empty (or half-full if you like) cup containing Lipton tea, half-eaten Arnott's Chocolate Chips, a laptop, the bible, course readers, Jester's Pie discount cards, bookmarks, a second-hand Ikea lamp, mabz's teddy bear surveying the mess around him (or her?), daryl and jw's cards somewhere at the top and gasp (!) a Falun Gong flyer entitled "Falun Gong practitioners brutally attacked by Chinese government spies in South Africa" - the flyer was found at our front gate a week ago, so I just kept it with me thinking that it might have some relevance to Political Science... yeah you get the idea.

right got to go. cyah :)