foot.note

04 July 2004

Typing this on my lap-top now. It's the first time I connected the lap-top to the Net and hey, it's working. :) Hope it works in Oz too.

Had my last church service before I leave for Perth today. Normally when someone is going abroad for an extended period of time, one of the church elders (Elder Dr Leong, Elder Ng or Elder Woo) will lead the church in praying for him/her during service. But I paiseh to let the elders know la. Not that I'm not close to anyone of them or wad.. I'm pretty close to Dr Leong, but it's like I don't think it adds up when everyone knows and are "forced" to pray for me, including the ones whom I don't know. So I just kept quiet during service today loh. But I did call up Dr Leong and Elder Ng's wife (Auntie Alice) after that la.. tell them that I'm leaving on Sat and to thank them for everything. And as predicted, Dr Leong asked "why u didn't tell me earlier.. can pray for you lo". And I was like, "I don't feel very comfortable to tell the whole congregation la.." But they said they will still pray for me, and I'm very thankful for that.

Some piece of news here. Don't know whether to classify it as good or neutral. It turns out that I've got three members of the church who are already in Perth studying and guess what? One of them is at UWA now. doing engineering i heard. his name is Chee Chung. I don't really know exactly who they are (the other two are sisters) because I've always had a problem of identifying people at church. The name sounds familiar though. And to think I've been attending this church since 1999. I guess it's good news of course, since there would be people from our church already in Perth studying.. E-mailed him in the afternoon. haven't replied me yet.

Celebrated my grandmother's (paternal) 79th birthday just now at some restaurant. Found myself at the other table with Uncle Frankie (that's such a 70's name) and his four children + wife. Don't really like 'em cos they are pretty snobbish. Dad and Frankie are not on good talking terms with each other too. So half-way during the dinner, my grandma switched tables with me and my bro. I found myself with dad, mum, Aunty Molly and her four daughters. Then I suddenly became happy haha. cos I we get along very well with each other. :)

And of cos, there were the usual jibes/streotypes about going overseas from my older relatives.

"I heard hoh. overseas only got bread to eat one leh. got chinese people around in Perth or not?"

"Come back don't bring white girlfriend/wife hoh. Worse still, cannot bring back black girlfriend." - That's so, bleah, racist?

Aunty Molly gave me a AUD100 red packet. Thanks! :) I won't spend the $100 note. It'd always be safe with me.