foot.note

05 July 2004

It's really quite amazing when you see how slowly I'm packing my stuff.
I only bought a pair of Giordano jeans from Jusco Permas Jaya today. It's the first time I went to that Jusco branch. Been to the Taman Universiti Jusco before; it's near my place. And was that a Tower Records I saw at Jusco Permas Jaya? Looks like it's the first Tower outlet in JB heh.

There's this signboard over in the shopping centre where they paste all the suggestions received by the customers. And there's one that is, quite tasteless.

I like Jusco. Please employ more sexy ladies to serve the customers.

In the first place, what is it doing there on the signboard?

Haha and silly me at Giordano:

Me: "Can I have a look at THIS pair of jeans? I want to get the same pair as what I'm wearing now and i think this looks the same."
Salesman: "These are jeans for women."

.... lol. haha.
I'm positive the pair of Gio jeans i'm wearing now are guys jeans though. =P

UWA (and all Oz universities) provide an airport pick-up for first-year international undergrad students to anywhere in Perth CBD, or near the vicinity of the university. (Subiaco, Dalkeith, Shenton Park (lol), Nedlands).

The e-mail reply back to me wrote:
Dear Will

Thank you for returning your 'Airport Pick-up & Temporary Accommodation' form. I am pleased to confirm your airport pick-up as follows:-

Airport: Perth International
Flight:
Arriving From: Singapore
Arrival Date: 10th July 2004
Flight Arrival Time:

Once you have retrieved your baggage, please make your way as quickly as possible to the Thomas Cook Exchange Kiosk where you will be met by the UWA Bus Driver.
He will be holding a sign stating:
UWA
University of Western Australia

We request that you wait there until you are collected. Please do not decide to leave by taxi etc, as the driver will be expecting you. Once you have arrived in Perth Airport, please proceed as quickly as possible, so as not to delay our driver and other students. If you are delayed for any reason, e.g., customs, baggage reclaim, immigration etc., please inform an airport official that the driver is waiting for
you.

If you experience any other difficulties, please call the EMERGENCY mobile number:

0407 383443(+61 407 383443 if calling from overseas).

Please note that this is a free service that is offered only to UWA International Students. Friends/family travelling with students are required to inform me if they require an airport pickup, and will incur a $30 charge that should be paid direct to the driver on arrival.

You will be delivered directly to ____________ (this is the budget backpacking hostel me and my dad will be putting up for that first night) as requested.

if you have any queries or require further information, please don't hesitate to ask!

Have a good flight!

Claire

sigh. looks like my dad can't go with me free on the bus. how..?? Think I got to search for alternative cheaper bus transport for him. Heard it costs AUD11 to get to the backpackers hostel from the airport. oh well.

shit lah. the australian dollar is galloping away against the SGD and RM these days.

Doing Literature?
Thought of doing a few Literature modules to make up the BA. Looks interesting. Sounds interesting. But I only did Lit up to Sec 2. and I was just mediocre in Literature then. I think we did "Sing to the Dawn", a play called "Snake in the Grass" (which my Eng/Lit teacher will pronounce as "Snake in the GLass". lol. Mrs Tan was quite amusing in her caustic language and pronounciation prowness. daryl and jw would prob agree cos we had Mrs Tan for Eng/Lit for 2 years, even though we were in diff classes then.)

"Nevver do your JOURN-al? Neverr mind! At the end of semester, very easy to calculate. Zee-roh plus Zee-roh equal Zeeroh! No need calculator one."

And at the end of two years, Mrs Tan still can't attach names to her students.
"That boy sitting next to Weilun, can you answer this question?"

"Take out your Eng-lish-Lit-ji-cher textbook."
Until to the point we started this very popular phrase,
"Mrs Tan is our Eng-lish-and-lit-ji-cher-ji-cher (teacher)."

Also remember how when Mrs Tan will call people up to answer questions.. and if we got it wrong, we were not allowed to sit down until we could get another question correct. And we would desperately try to answer the questions because if at the end of lesson, and you're still standing...

"Okay! We can't finish this lesson on Racial Harmony today. So you (points at the hapless guy(s) will finish the lesson for us tmrw. Do a pleasant-ation on Racial Harmony."

groans.

And if the next day, the presentation wasn't complete.. (and it happens very often because my class was like the heck type of class),

"Where is the presentation?"

Scenario 1: "No time. Mrs Tan." (and the guy concerned, including me would prob be looking at RI in the distance.)

"Look at me when I'm talking to you! You will fail if you continue to behave like this."

Scenario 2: JUST before the English lesson, the whole class would look for a rough piece of paper or vanguard sheet and we'll scribble on it - "Singapore is a multi-racial society. we have chinese, malay, indian people. blah blah blah." - very brainless facts.

"Where is the presentation?"

"Here it is Mrs Tan." - hands over a rough piece of paper.

"You call this a pleasant-ation? No effort! You will fail if you continue to behave like this."

And in both scenarios, she would say:
"Go and sit in the corner behind and work on your pleasant-ation!"

It happened so often that we smart guys would take chalk and demarcate the boundaries of the corner and we'd use the chalk and write on the floor - chee hong corner.

Oh well. those were the days man. It's funny how all when the chs guys meet up and it's always funny no matter how many times the stories are repeated.. :)

Wait a minute. Was the title "Doing Literature?" or "I miss Sec 2 Eng/Literature lessons"? Haha. totally went off-track.