I figured out what I'm going to do during the portion of the summer holidays when I'm still in Australia.
Came across this job ad by Coles Myer Limited - a retailer which runs the chain of Myers, K Mart, Coles Supermarket, Bi Lo Supermarket. According to the ad, they are hiring 15000 (!!!) casuals for the Christmas season - as cashiers, post-Xmas stock taking, night filling jobs (sth like moving boxes and packing) etc. It's exactly the type of job Ms Harris was encouraging me to take up - cos "i'll get to meet lots of people, widen my social circle and make lots of $ during the vacation." And the job starts around the time my examinations end. so cool. hope i get to be a cashier and say hi to pretty girls.
Or i could be the sales assistant reaching the top shelves to help girls who can't reach that type of height. =P Not that I'm tall though. Remember that Heineken ad?
Was also looking at the recently released Mercer Human Resources cost of living and quality of living index of all the cities in the world.
For cost of living, with New York City as base = 100,
Tokyo is 1st (duh). With an index of 130.7
Sydney is 20th. With an index of 91.8
Singapore is 46th. With an index of 83.6
Perth is nowhere in the top 50th. No idea what is its exact ranking cos I'd have to pay for the entire list. Top 50 list is free.
For quality of living, with New York City as base = 100,
Zurich and Geneva come in tops at 106.5. I really must go to Switzerland one day too.
Sydney is 5th at 105.
Melbourne is 12th at 104
Perth is 20th at 103
Adelaide is 24th at 102. So is Brisbane.
Singapore is 34th at 101.
Tokyo is 34th at 101 too.
Hah you can say I'm trying to console myself that it's not necessarily a bad thing to go to Australia. =X
Funny. KL isn't featured anywhere. But KL will never make it to top 50 for quality of living.. go there and you will know why. I registered as a member of Mercer's website. Pretty interesting. Lots of human resources, talent management, expat living articles and figures down there.
As for the courses I want to do for Semester 1/2004,
I'm supposed to do four and I'm definitely gonna do this module:
European Studies 101 - Contemporary Europe; The New Millennium
It encompasses the topics of European history, cultures, traditions, change and continuity, national conflict, European film and literature, National Identity, The European Union and its institutions.
omg. this is so interesting. this particular module. hope what I read on the course information is as cool as the lesson proper. =)