23 July 2004
I felt pretty unhappy in the morning… was in those “what-is-my-purpose-in-the-world” moods.
We had the University Mentor Scheme today, where we new kids had to go to the University House and meet our mentors. I have a senior who’s already graduated as my mentor – her name is Katie.
Ruby came at 7pm to fetch me to Subiaco Church, for the Overseas Christian Fellowship (OCF) public meeting. The word “public meeting” sounds like some kind of political rally to me though. OCF has their meetings every Friday night.
And yes, I got to know a lot of new people.
I remember telling you guys about my responses on nationality when I was touring Germany.
Stranger: “So where are u from?”
Scenario 1: “I’m from Singapore.”
Stranger: “Oh clean and green city.”
Scenario 2: “I’m from Malaysia.”
Stranger: “Mahathir.”
And so, I’m trying out the same kind of responses over here in Perth.
Stranger: “So where are u from?”
Scenario 1: “I’m from Singapore.”
Stranger: “JC or Poly?”
Scenario 2: “I’m from Malaysia.”
Stranger: “Which state, arh?”
I dare to say that everyone here follows the same question-answer-response style.
I got to know this guy called Jason at the OCF meeting just now. He’s from Jurong JC and he’s also just commenced his course in Economics over at UWA.
And we were split into small groups of 3 for the prayer. I felt pretty weird having to voice out my thoughts and prayers.
Like, it was my first time saying a prayer in public?
Our group = Jessica, Jason and me. (or is it I? That’s a question in English language I’ve always had problems with).
Well, I prayed that the Lord has seen the two of us (Jason + me) safely through this first academic week at UWA. And I asked for faith and guidance to lead me through the nasty surprises that will occur along the way, which I’m sure will happen someday – whatever that may be.
They asked me if I want to go for supper… and I was like, you mean there’s actually food at 10.30pm in Perth?
“Yeah. There’s food to eat in Northbridge.” (Northbridge is well, north of Perth – kind of like the Mohamed Sultan stretch of roads plus lots of food, women and indulgence).
I didn’t go for supper though, because I left my notes at home. I only went out with the coins. And I don’t like borrowing $ from other people.
Which brings me to talk about the Aussie coins.
The 20 cent Oz coin has the size of a 50 cent S’pore coin.
The 50 cent Oz coin has the size of an emu egg.
And therefore, I always think that a 20cent coin is really a 50cent coin.
The $1 Oz coin = the size of the $1 S’pore coin – so no problems with that.
On the other hand, the $2 Oz coin = the size of the 20 cent S’pore coin (!!), albeit gold in colour and it’s very light.
Therefore, people keep on dropping $2 coins – because it’s so light and small, u won’t even know that it fell off from your pocket.
I was looking at the night sky just now. The semi-crescent moon and the bright, shining stars.
I’m not exaggerating when I say that the stars here are brighter in S’pore – maybe it’s because we’ve got so many high-rise buildings back home and they steal the (lime)light away from the stars. The stars really stand out here because it’s so quiet and still at night. I was looking out of my window – I bet it’s better I watched the stars at Kings Park or Matilda Bay.
And it reminded me of a song which my primary school taught us to sing during “singing periods.”
No, it’s not Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
It’s, “Somewhere Out There”.
Somewhere out there, someone’s saying a prayer. That we’ll find one another, in the big somewhere out there.
And even though I know how very far apart we are, it helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star.
And when the night has started singing a lonesome lullaby, it helps to think we’re sleeping underneath the same big skYYYYY! (and that’s where the song really reaches some high note which will shatter my voice or sth).
Amazing, isn’t it.
One of the other songs which are quite nice to sing to yourself in those dark, bright (paradox?) lonely nights is (and I know daryl will agree with me):-
“Come What May” – by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman.
Seasons may change, winter to spring, but I love you (I love you), until the end of time.
I guess, I’m a bit homesick – for me to feel this way and start humming those silly love tunes to myself.
Right. I’m heading back to Oscar Lewis and his “culture of poverty” theory. My first tutorial, and that is Anthropology, is on Monday.
Have a good weekend and I’m looking forward to calling the guys up tomorrow. =)