foot.note

08 June 2004

More appeal hiccups
Mr Bala msged me just now.. he said that he'd be out of action until next monday because he just had an operation on his hips. Aww poor Mr Bala. I feel a bit guilty for needing his help when he's not in the best of health. So the plan now is that he's gonna e-mail me his referral by thursday night, so I'll be in time to go NUS on friday (closing day for appeal is sunday btw).. he was saying sth like "i can't sit down at all now.. got to stand while doing everything.. got to stand while typing letters.." ouch. that must be really inconvienient. He also asked me to do the online appeal and use the referrals & hardcopy as a cross-reference.. said it'd be more "wise".

He kind of strongly recommended Monash too.. sth about more accreditation compared to NUS. But *shrugs* I really don't know. Also mentioned that a girl from my next CG got BCC C5.. got Real Estate instead of Arts and successfully online-appealed her way to Arts two days ago.. (!!!) .. So I asked him if it's "first appeal, first served?".. Mr Bala said "nah. dun think so.. you won't lose out if your appeal comes in before the closing date."

Felt quite pissed during work today
You see, I and only myself is accountable for the library. Even if it catches fire.

Remember I mentioned a few days ago the library has moved to the next room? So the cleaners were moving the shelves and I told them I'd take care of the books cos I'm still in the midst of classifying them into the various reading levels.

So when I left school yday, I had four different piles of books on the floor, and they were already separated into Beginners, Intermediate (Lower), Intermediate (Upper) and Advanced.

And when I reached school today, the cleaners had already placed the books into the shelves of the new library. I casually asked: "who asked you guys to move the books...?" And the cleaner said: "Ms Whay...(HOD)"

"Oh I see. Ms Whay."
And then, I noticed ALL the Ladybird books were together on the shelf. Which is TOTALLY wrong becos the books are supposed to be arranged based on difficulty levels, not "all the books by the same publisher are put together", or "all the small books together, all the big books together." - which was what the cleaners had done.

Hey i really wanted to cry okay. because that meant that i'd have to look through ALL the books again to determine their difficulty levels (remember I said i'd already separated them into difficulty levels?)

That was like about 1000+ books I had to look through again u know. And my left thumb and right thumb already have no upper skin left these days.. cos i'm flipping n reading books everyday.

So kind of voiced my displeasure to Ms Whay during lunch lo. I said, "I hope this doesn't rub off the wrong way on you. But u know I'm doing the library and everything is there for a reason. I make annotations and invisible markings to denote what I've done and I've not. No one knows what EXACTLY I've done, not even the other teacher assistants. And by telling the cleaners to arrange the books, they've arranged it the wrong way and I have to clean up the mess by re-reading all the books. Sorry for saying this."

"Oh sorry will. i didn't know that.. it won't happen again... cyah!" - *Ms Whay makes her way to the door.*

Dad and his health
He went to the General Hospital for some check-up in the colon.. cos the doctor referred him to the hospital. Think he has a minute growth in the colon.. got me pretty worried cos I keep thinking it's cancer.. and my family is in no position to lose my dad. really. The doc said it isn't cancer.. but there's a small growth.. so got to go for another check-up to see in detail what's happening. Hope nothing bad happens. sigh.