foot.note

26 June 2004

Last Day of Work, or so I thought

Today is the last day of Academic Year 03-04 at the International School of Johor. Nothing spectacular happened, cos I wasn't at the primary school prize-giving. Only reached school at 12pm cos I had to go to the clinic to do my medical check-up and to the hospital for the x-ray, which are needed for my visa.

Grown taller to 173cm. but became much lighter, to 58.5kg (!!).

Then for the chest x-ray, I had to take off my shirt. felt VERY awkward. yeah. And I just don't like the smell of hospitals. always try to avoid going there if i can.

Had laksa for lunch? cos i know I won't get to eat local food for a very very long time.

Came back in time to see more library books on my table. And that was when I knew that I can't be leaving today, cos it'd be very irresponsible to leave what is essentially MY job to someone else to pick up. So, I guess I'll be working till the end of the month?

And this is pretty funny.
At the primary school just now, I was eating a banana when two primary 1 girls came up to me.

"You look quite handsome today. Mr Lee."

I could have choked on the banana at that moment.

"Eh small little girls arh. I BET you have NO IDEA what u're talking about k." :) I said.

Then I went up to the Swasta school. bumped into carmen and soo suen (primary 2 girls).

"Hi Uncle (!) Will. where are you going today?" - They.
"Going to the secondary to attend their prize-giving. what's up?" - Me.
"Oh no no. just wanted to ask you, where's Ms Leong?" - They.
"She went to join her husband in Batu Pahat." - Me.
"I thought YOU were her husband?" - Carmen asks VERY innocently.
"ahem. we're actually not related in any way except being friends." - I said quite patiently.

Then I started fishing through my wallet. gave both of them $1 to buy ice-cream haha. u should have seen how they were smiling and ran up to buy ice-cream when i gave them the money. oh well. :)

secondary prize-giving ceremony - the most prestigious award, called the "good citizenship award", (don't ask me where that award came from), went to Jun Hao (for the junior school) and Yohen (for the upper school). Very good choice. Both are brilliant kids.

Then after that, nothing much lo. the students asked me about my future plans; and I told them I'm going to Australia. exchanged e-mails n all. I wasn't really sad. yeah.

Ms Harris was giving me a lecture on Australian slang and jargon. Like she was at the whiteboard and I was like the attentive student that I'm usually not.

She writes on the board.
"Buckley's chance and none."
"Do you know what's that, Will?" - Harris.
"No?" - Me.
"It means very little chance. almost close to zero. the origins of this saying came from a guy called Buckley who actually tried to walk from East to West of Australia. of cos, he died along the way and never made it to the East." - Harris.
"So let me give u an example. What are our chances of getting paid for the month of May & June?" - Harris.
"Buckley's." - Me.
"Brilliant." - Harris. :)

And as a parting souvenir, she gave me a huge jungle painting which she painted to be used as a prop for drama production this year. Very green. and beautiful. I left it in school. gonna lug it back on monday.

Then me and Ifarn (Mr Chen) went out to s'pore lo. he had to collect his air-ticket or sth.. then i followed him cos well, he has never really been to s'pore. and i had to buy the Lonely Planet guide to Australia (highly recommended my me sincerely; the Lonely Planet guides) and meet mabz. Crapped. ate. me and my wise words. You should have seen the way you sulked when the waiter delivered the food to the next table. very very funny. then again. i sulk a lot too. and display atrocious table manners. heh.

Ifarn sent me back home lo. cos we live quite close to each other. actually, A LOT of the staff live quite close to each other. in my area, skudai, we've got jenny, ifarn, selina, vivien and me.

That was, my Friday. hah.