I'm rushing against time. totally.
Now I'm not even sure whether ANU is the "right" university, cos my Uncle Henry (mum's cousin, who migrated to Melbourne in 1970) says among the three I've applied, Adelaide U is the best. My colleagues think so too.. I guess their opinion matters to me cos I can do research, I can check the Internet.. but advice from my oz relatives and colleagues are important, cos they've been there before me.
Uncle Henry rang me up yesterday: "You'd def think that ANU is the best. cos it's the national university. kind of influenced by the notion that NUS is the NATIONAL university of singapore. but it's not true in oz u know..."
Bet you didn't know ex-S'pore President Ong Teng Cheong was from Adelaide eh?
But currently, out of the 3, i've only being offered UWA and ANU. Adelaide will probably come in on Monday, judging at how fast they are doing things.
I feel guilty too. cos I'd probably be the only child that my parents will send abroad to do my university degree.
to daryl - yeah. I can imagine how tough your life is in jurong camp now. oldest camp in s'pore. cockroaches everywhere. handphone confiscated. no newspapers. and worst of all, god knows if you can transfer out. could be a long 2 years in hell. *shrugs* nothing much I can do.. but I'll pray that miraculously, you'll get posted out to a better place? :) and yah. I'm quite acutely aware that oz is the land of savage garden. omg. i wonder what type of rare sg collectibles I can lug back for ya? :) I'd probably have to fry millions of burgers to buy a CD in oz or sth. My dad suggested "u could teach chinese to the australians." Doesn't sound too brilliant eh.