I got my support letter from Mr Pheby (Principal), Ms Howard (Secondary HOD) and Ms Whay (Primary HOD) today.. and I think, u'll be so proud of me when you read the contents of their letters, esp Mr Pheby's one. Here goes:-
Date: 1 June 2004
From: Mr Graham Pheby M.Ed
Principal of The International School of Johor
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
Subject: In support of Mr Lee Cheow Lit, Application No. 14038592. Appeal To The Committee For Entrance To The Faculty of Arts And Social Sciences, NUS.
I am pleased to offer this as a reference in support of Mr Lee Cheow Lit's appeal.
He first came to our school in mid-January, recommended by a friend of the school. He was looking for productive work whilst waiting to be accepted to your university. He realized that we had our full complement of all staff but said he would like to work in an environment where he thought he could be useful and also learn.
I told him I did not like to admit part time volunteers as they did not fit in and were unreliable. He said he would come full-time.
Mr Lee has impressed all of us here in many ways. Firstly, he has done what he said he would do. He works from 7.30am to 4pm five days a week as a volunteer and has proved as reliable in this aspect as any full-time employee.
Further he has showed initiative, intelligence and flexibility and has gained the respect of teachers and students.
My guess is that many of your students given 9 months between study would not look for worthwhile, productive, work particularly if not paid for and carry out this work dilligently.
I would recommend that you review his appeal favourably in the knowledge that you have some record of a student who has confirmed the above character.
If you would like confirmation of any aspect I will be happy to answer your call on my handphone, 012-*******.
I do hope you can consider a favourable review for this deserving student.
Yours faithfully,
________________ (his signature)
Next, Ms Howard and Ms Whay (the HODs) wrote a joint letter in support of my appeal..
This is to state that Lee Cheow Lit also known as Will Lee, has worked at the Tun Dr Ismail International School of Johor in a volunteer capacity since 13 Jan 2004.
His duties included making an inventory of library books on three campuses, and teacher assistant duties.
We found him to be punctual, reliable and responsible, and do not hesitate in recommending that he be accepted into the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the National University of Singapore in order to further his aims of a career in Arts / Social Sciences Education.
Yours Sincerely,
________________ (signed by both HODs)
I just wanna say, thank you to them for taking the time to come out with those two letters.. and I do hope these are the letters that will turn the tide despite the odds. I'll be receiving Ms Harris' letter tmrw, Mr Bala's letter on Monday..
But I'm not gonna bang on the hope i'll def make it to nus.. going to monash university KL on 12 june.. heard they offer history n international relations, politics there too.. internationally recognised.. that i think, is the 2nd alternative. and i'm still in time: deadline for malaysians is 25 june. BUT my first choice, by a million miles, is still NUS. And I will do everything I can to fight for it.
After observing the kids at the primary school for a month, I've come to the conclusion that the kids (esp those in kindergarten (the school calls it "Reception" class), P1 to P3 kids) see no difference between a girl and a boy.
As in, they are really innocent and full of funny antics loh. If they don't like a person, it's becos "she/he is rude, naughty, bad.. and not becos "eeee.. she's a girl. i dun like. cos i'm a boy" - a tendency that we local kids tend to display during Primary 1 all the way to Primary 6...
Say, it's 1 June today right? On this day two years ago, .. ok I shan't talk about it.
But I must say, when I look back and recall the sweet beginnings and bitter endings, and chuckle upon it, complete with the silly grin.. i agree it feels, well, brilliant too.
Now I can't wait to brother to come back.. cos I gave him money to buy the Corrs "borrowed heaven" Cd.. just released yesterday.
The first single, "Summer Sunshine".. is so breezy.. very up-tempo..
Just sweet beginnings and bitter en-dings
In coffee city, we borrowed hea-ven
Don't give it back, I've never felt so wanted
Are you taking me home?
In the heat of summer sunshine
I miss you like nobody else
In the heat of summer sunshine
I kiss you, and nobody needs to know