foot.note

31 May 2004

I'm feeling quite good today.. Not becos I've appealed successfully or what, but I've realised that there are many, many routes to the same dream. And that Mr Pheby and the rest are really trying hard to come out with solid referral letters to push me in.

Minah helped me with refining my appeal letter today, especially with trying to link the paragraphs so that it flows perfectly together.

Even though I am paid a token sum as transport and food allowance, I have gained lots of insight into my future profession and that, I feel, cannot be quantified in any absolute monetary terms.

After I graduate, I intend to teach History and General Paper at the junior college level. I am especially interested in the challenges of being involved in the Integrated Programme and helping to nuture young adults who will be capable of considering the human dimension of all their endeavours in a world where seemingly, to borrow a quote from Oscar Wilde, people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Jenny made me smile today, cos she's got a funny way of asking questions.. All of a sudden just now, she asked me in Chinese: "Hey why you don't have girlfriend ARH?"

"aiyah jenny. i from boys school one.. how many girls can i possibly know? and having a girlfriend is the last thing i'll be thankful for right now."

"haiyah so what? i from girls school wad.." and she starts telling me about how she "caught" her husband..

Mr Pheby the principal surprised me when he said that he, Ms Howard (secondary HOD) and Ms Whay (primary HOD) will write me a referral letter EACH. that means three letters; much more than the one I had expected. since Ms Whay & Ms Howard are away today, the letters will only come during lunchtime tmrw.. + Ms Harris' letter = 4 letters from ISJ.

But i'm sad to say my alma mater has been less than helpful, at least that's the impression I get. I called up Mr Bala just now.. he said "hey i'll call you back. at meeting now.." - And he never called. nvm bug him again tmrw.

Mr Pheby was talking to me in his office juz now u see.. asked me about what i hope to do, the education system in Singapore, how I think he should write the letter.. And when I saw all the history books on his table (Antony Beever's "Stalingrad", Nelson Mandela's "Long Walk to Freedom", to name a few), I knew that yes, I'm talking to the right person who shares in what I stand for too. But Mr Pheby you see, is very forgetful. He scrawls like a doctor's handwriting, dawdles like a lost train, FORGETS that he's supposed to write me a letter until I bumped into him just now.. n then he said, "oh YES YES. come in and i'll talk to u."

And Farrah, she gave me the biggest help today.
By suggesting that I go have a look at University of London's distance-learning. As you know, London School of Economics and Political Science is under it..

So that means, I can do a BA History or BSc Politics & International Relations, do well.. n go to London for 2nd or 3rd year using credit transfers. (I can't go to LSE or King's College on-campus now cos I dun have the AAB needed.).. But i can study online, do exams at British Council S'pore, and go over to UK. and at the end of the day, I will get an honours degree from LSE, King's College.. all from the University of London, and it's recognised internationally. furthermore, the deadline isn't still over, 30 June 2004. And best of all, the honours that I will get is no different from the one obtained by the guy doing it on-campus.

but of cos there r pitfalls, like I won't get to feel the pulse of U life for the 1st year, I need to be really motivated... I may become a dork (maybe I already am). But it's a gamble that is definitely worth taking.

And it won't blow such a huge hole in my folks' pocket.

I have been blessed by God today. really.

P/s: At 9.30pm, I went to my phone and looked at it.. and there, I saw 6 missed calls from Mr Bala.. and i was like, "oh oh i'm in trouble for making mr bala call so many million times w/o picking up the phone." If you were from tj, u'd know Mr Bala and how he's like. He's quite intimidating becos he has a loud voice, fierce, huge stomach, BIG (and getting bigger by the year).. but hmm he toked to me for about half an hour, and he's not that scary after all. dunno why I used to fear him when i was in tj.. i'd always sit right at the back of the LT during his history lectures.

So I called back lo.. he gave more advice.. sth about considering Monash Uni in KL, which is a fully fledged recognised Uni (not those twinning programmes that M'sia is notoriously famous for).. and he doesn't recommend distance-learning cos he's afraid that I may not have the huge drive needed to push myself.. talked about my ambitions, my dreams, how i intend to fight my way to nus.. and he's more than happy to come out with the referral letter too.