foot.note

03 April 2004

3.4.04 - Did nth much today except rot around, read my book, go cycling during the drizzle .. .. Was watching the swimsuit round of the Miss S'pore Universe pagent.. and I'm thinking, "I'm sure I've seen much more beautiful girls out there.." Maybe the gd-looking ones don't want to participate or sth.. and it's always the "die-hards" who wld do anything to strut their stuff, and fulfil that every girl's dream of being crowned as a beauty queen, to take a quote from a recent edition of CNA's "Get Real". But looks aside, I feel that beauty competitions have been reduced to nth more than a stand-up comedy, as far as I'm concerned. Here's why:- 1) hey, the questions asked always sound similar don't they? Do you think women are gaining equal rights as compared to men? What makes a beautiful woman? *rolls eyes* 2) and then, the replies would be even more amusing. I'd never forget the 2002 Miss Singapore Universe where some contestant said "I'll dismantle my handphone and raise it above my head, so that its radiation would attract help" or sth to that effect, when asked about "what would you do if you're stuck in a forest?". In any case, do such scenarios really exist around here?? Of cos, there's the usual "World Peace" boo-boo, but I won't even go further on that cos it's been like ranted over and over again. And once more tmrw too - on Channel 5 (Miss Congenality). Maybe MediaCorp can follow the 5-minute delay broadcast thingy like in the US (after Janet and her "wadrobe malfunction" incident), o/wise someone's gonna embarrass herself on some live national beauty contest one of these days again.. or maybe MediaCorp already does that. And 3) lastly, I think it's quite funny the way my DAD attempts to answer the questions himself the moment the host (in this case, it's Gurmit Singh, from "Gurmit's Small Talk" (in)fame(ous)")... and then the beauty queen wannabe will reply sth quite (in fact, very) different answer.. and my dad will go, "Aiyah, almost correct lah.." .. *sigh*... Haha, trying to be an armchair critic here.. hope I didn't do too badly. =)