foot.note

27 April 2004

27.4.04 -
You are a marvel

Each second we live is a new and unique moment
of the universe, a moment that will never be again.....

And what do we teach our children?
We teach them that two and two makes four,
and that Paris is the capital of France.

When will we also teach them what they are?....

We should say to each of them:

Do you know what you are?

You are a marvel.
You are unique.

In all the years that have passed, there has never been another child like you.

Your legs, your arms,
Your clever fingers,
the way you move.
You may become a Shakespeare,
a Michelangelo, a Beethoven...

You have the capacity for anything.
Yes, you are a marvel.
And when you grow up,
can you then harm another who is,
like you, a marvel?

You must work - we must all work -
to make the world worthy of its children.

The above poem is taken from my Sec 3/4 Geog teacher lah.. I where got so creative and talented. hee. just thought of this poem cos I so loved the kids I saw in the primary school during my lunch today.. I guess I'm just too caught up in the library (and my sucky days) to notice them. There's a pair of twins in Primary 1.. and they're like omg, so cute. sorry for gushing. and they were like eating until there were curry stains all over their mouth.. like I so wish to have my own kids in future too?

But then again, I shudder to think of having kids everytime I sit on the plane.. they are always wailing and crying and everyone else around the kids (and the poor parents) have this irritated look on their face. But i guess it's worth it in the end. *bright smile*

Reading this national geographic nov1998 issue now.. found it in the library.. though it's 5 years ago, issues are pretty relevant. this issue has a very detailed write-up on human migration and it has changed and will continue to change the face of this earth.

That, to take a quote from the article, "migration helped create humans, drove us to conquer the planet, shaped our societies, and promises them to reshape them again."

And lastly, I could be zipping off to another backpacking trip next month again. much will depend on wad happens to nus.. but if i get in, i'd def go off. more details soon. i hope. cos it's not really confirmed yet. it's an invitation from a family friend.