foot.note

19 April 2004

19.4.04 - I was pretty upset in the morning cos' the HOD told me "will, you aren't supposed to be here. you are to help Vanessa over at the primary school. the new music teacher will take over your secondary sch duties." And I thought, "what the hell is your rationale for this decision? even if Vanessa really needed help, u could just add on to my current workload and not take away my crown jewel (secondary library)." U know, I created the sec sch library from scratch.. not boasting or what here. When I first arrived, the books were all scattered all over the school.. and this is how I'm repaid. And the more I thought about it, it was quite plain obvious that I'm no longer here for my original purpose; that is to teach and interact with students. I don't mind doing the sec library cos I get to read the books (at our level) for free.. but now, why on the world am i going to read "polly goes to school" or "jack and the beanstalk" for that matter? Really feel like throwing in my resignation at the end of the month or sth. And to make things worse, I visited Jenny after school was over.. and she said, "Will, you know I might be sacked tmrw? the principal wants to see me tmrw. and Linda (HOD) is like throwing warnings n insults at me.." And I went, "No, u can't be right. You just came back from home (Australia) after a 2-week break and now they want to sack u?" I mean, it's so obvious the HOD is systematically purging those who are not tugging at her skirt loh. It really feels like shit.. but I'm just gonna go to work tmrw and see what happens. Hmm Jenny gave me an Easter egg and she said she appreciated my friendship.. i appreciate her friendship too! but of cos i didn't tell her that. too paiseh =)

My Bangkok trip was like so short.. but like every overseas trip, you always experience new stuff. I took AirAsia from JB (Senai) to Bangkok (Don Muang).. for like only RM180 one way.. which is really worth it. But of cos there was no aerobridge linking the gate to the plane.. must walk out in the open and climb those steps up into the plane.. very kampung style heh. No fixed seating. somewhat cramped seats. Drinks n food must be bought.. crying babies, the aunty who yaks n yaks about sitting on a plane for the first time.. it's really testament to AirAsia's catch phrase, which is "Now Everyone Can Fly." *really* As usual, we didn't go by a tour group... cos wad new stuff can u possibly learn with someone leading the way and going with people who are of the same breed as yourself? The last time i went to Bangkok was in 1993.. and it has really changed a lot. the traffic jams r not there anymore (but maybe that's becos everyone is away for the Songkran festival) and there are many flyovers. Went to Chinatown, Chacutak Market (which is really mother of markets in Bangkok, cos there are 8000+ shops with 200,000 people visiting it during the weekend. It's a weekend market btw. This market sells a lot of food, antiques, clothes.. etc animals?), the Grand Palace, Siam Centre, Mah Boon Krong, Victory Monument.. and we got around using the taxi, the BTS (skytrain), the ubiqitious tuk-tuk (hey u know hoh, the James Bond Visa advertisment is no exaggeration.. the way the manoevure their tuk-tuks in the traffic, is like *wow* u literally have to grab onto some handle to prevent yourself from falling off...) and the river taxi (duh). Weather was unbearably hot and humid.. and Thai girls.. urm no offence intended.. but they're really beautiful. dark, long hair, big eyes... and they have the height.. =)

Time to hand out a special award here:-
Best taxi driver I encountered in Bangkok:- The uncle that drove us from Chinatown back to our hotel (Menam Riverside Hotel).. I told him "Menam Riverside, Chaorenkrung Road"... and then he mumbled some Thai words.. and went zipping in and out of the traffic.. and horning at everything that blocked his way. I was really tempted to say, "Proat kap cha cha, uncle" which means "please drive slowly" in thai. haha.

Say, the taxi driver who drove us from our hotel to the airport yesterday also deserves a mention. I'd like to call him "Mr Honey Melon" cos he was munching on a huge and delicious honeymelon as he was driving.. and he speaks quite gd English also. not only it's comprehnsible, he's competent enough to make jokes in English also. He said, "You rich. sit aeroplane. I poor. i go by cargo." Which i believed, the implied meaning is "the only way i can get out of Bangkok is to be smuggled." and i went, "come on.. i sitting AirAsia leh. how can be rich?" He said he didn't go to school before.. so I really admire him when he said he learnt his English from the tourists who take his taxi. kudos to him. =)

But my greatest admiration is for the teenagers (or possibly, children) who have to work by selling souvenirs and food at such a young age.. And some of them are really enterprising too. They stop you in your tracks by quoting you prices which are irresistable.. and then you start buying their stuff in bulk. I think, life for 'em (these hawkers) is really simple and innocent.. probably desirable also. Even when life seems to be tough for them, they are still forever smiling and so carefree. Like they say in Thai, "mai pen rai" - which means "never mind, it's ok"

And the sunrise in Bangkok is really gorgeous.. i remembered i opened the hotel window at 6.30am.. the sun over the horizon.. with the shimmering Chao Phraya river and the boats trotting up and down the river.. it's really omg loh. hmm. sounds like a descrptive essay here. heh ok. I'm feeling much better now after all this writing.. really looking forward to going back to Bangkok again. hmm.