foot.note

29 March 2004

29.3.04 - I had a Year 7 Geog class 1st period this morning.. and well, Do Hoon really never fails to amuse me.. we're still on America.. it's a Human Geog module actually.. so I was teaching him "effects of tourism on Florida"

Me: "The textbook says 'wildlife is threatened because of tourism'... do u know what's threatened?"

He presses his beep beep Korean-English dictionary... types in the word threatened, and a whole barrage of Korean words appear.. So I'd always ask, "Do you know now?".. and he'll always grin at me and say, "Yesh MisHter Ree".. and well, I'd have no idea w/er he knows or not cos' the beep beep churns out only Korean words anyway..

Me: "So.. why is wildlife threatened? Can you think of some reasons?"
Do Hoon: "You ate them!"

I stare at him in silence.

Me: "Right, so let's move on to American culture.. As you know, all over the world, we are affected by American influence in some way or another.. Can you throw me some examples of anything American?"

He just grins at me.

Me: "I'll help you out a bit.. what about movies and shows that are Made in America?"
Do Hoon: "I know Fear Factor.. a lot of insects."
Me: "Heard of American Idol before?"
He just draws on his book what looks like Statue of Liberty to me, just that this statue, instead of the woman carrying a flame... she's holding an ice-cream with flames in Do Hoon's world.

Do Hoon: "I draw this thing. in New York. Ice-cream statue."

Me: "Hmm. Very imaginative indeed. What about American singers? Do you know any?"

Do Hoon: "Michael Jackson (.....) and MAH-donna."

Me: "Right.. and here's one last qn before the period ends. Who's the US President?"
Do Hoon: "George Bush."
Me: "Wow. not bad. you know."
Do Hoon: "Of cos I know teacher. He attack Iraq."

So much for American culture eh. I even had to point out to him the biggest example of American influence in our lives... and that is Macdonalds.
Had dinner with bk, marc, ch at Bugis... bumped into Melissa, Yu Siang, Joanna, Hui Min... haha and looking at them, I'd better ask w/er the HOD can let me do some PE next term or not.. I'm probably a feeble old man now or sth haha..